MAX vs iTunes

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.

MAX vs iTunes

Post by guest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Hiow does MAX reading CDs compare to iTunes "use error correction when reading CD" option?

Is there any reason to rip the CD with MAX instead with iTunes unless I want to rip to FLAC or an other format not supported by iTunes?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: MAX vs iTunes

Post by sbooth » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:56 am

guest wrote:Hiow does MAX reading CDs compare to iTunes "use error correction when reading CD" option?

Is there any reason to rip the CD with MAX instead with iTunes unless I want to rip to FLAC or an other format not supported by iTunes?
I honestly can't say- as far as I can tell Apple doesn't specify what type of error correction iTunes provides, so I can't really make a comparison.

Sorry!

shane

Post by shane » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:07 am

Here's a comparison between iTunes and X-CD-Roast, which uses cdda2wav with the cdparanoia library to extract audio:

http://homepage.mac.com/machiavel/Text/ ... l#Paranoia

A comparison between iTunes and Max would be similar.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:35 pm

I can't give you any technical details, since I'm speaking only from my layman's experience, but some CDs I've tried to rip in iTunes resulted in a load of pops and clicks, due to excessive scratches. This happens even with error correction turned on in iTunes.

Max has done considerably better for me, but I still get a pop here and there on some tracks. EAC (Windows-only, unfortunately) in secure mode seems to rip my problem CDs almost flawlessly.

So Max is miles ahead of iTunes in this regard, but EAC still beats it. I'd love to see Max close the gap.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:35 am

Guest said it very well.

I am using Max because:
1. I want the best possible rips.
2. I want to rip to FLAC.

Max with EAC's algorithms would be the ultimate product.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

khead

Post by khead » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:05 pm

Well... I’m getting very inconsistent results so far.

I have 3 different Macs to try this out on, and ripping the same problem track with both Max and iTunes on all of them, I’m really not seeing any clear advantage for Max yet. In fact, the single worst rip by far came from using Max on my newest computer.

People should just be sure to check how well this works on their particular hardware before making any major changes based on the reported experiences of others.

Overall Max is great, and getting greater - very much appreciate all the effort put into it so far. I’s great to have all the format support, and flexability on file placement.
Hopefully secure ripping will become a part of it pretty soon.
I’m looking forward to the day when I can rip my CD collection just one last time and have it all come out right.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:30 pm

khead wrote:Well... I’m getting very inconsistent results so far.

I have 3 different Macs to try this out on, and ripping the same problem track with both Max and iTunes on all of them, I’m really not seeing any clear advantage for Max yet. In fact, the single worst rip by far came from using Max on my newest computer.

People should just be sure to check how well this works on their particular hardware before making any major changes based on the reported experiences of others.

Overall Max is great, and getting greater - very much appreciate all the effort put into it so far. I’s great to have all the format support, and flexability on file placement.
Hopefully secure ripping will become a part of it pretty soon.
I’m looking forward to the day when I can rip my CD collection just one last time and have it all come out right.
This is interesting to hear. I personally haven't done a side-by-side listening test with iTunes so it's interesting to hear actual results. Your advice is very apt- use what works best for you!

Anyway, my #1 priority for Max is to work on adding secure ripping. More to follow on that...

khead

Post by khead » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:42 pm

I just wanted to add to my previous post.

I’m using Max regularly now as my only ripper, and find it can be far superior to iTunes. The key is to just be sure to check first how it works compared to iTunes on your particular drive/computer.

On the system of mine where it does provide an advantage (unfortunately for me - the system I has hoping to sell....), I’m able to get rips that as far as I can tell so far, are skip free.
I just set the preferences to “Never allow skipping” and if the rip grinds to a halt, I know to pull the CD out and repair it. This is way better than being surprised by skips at a later time like you get with iTunes.
Also, wile there are still some audible defects in some problem areas, they are much less noticeable than with iTunes.
This will hold me till the new ripper is ready for Max.

Again, just check how it works on your system first. On one of mine, I actually got worse skipping when I used the ”Never allow skipping" option.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:21 am

I found something interesting. Try ripping one of your CDs with Apple Lossless in iTunes and the other one in Max. Next, add album art to all the tracks in each album via iTunes. The ones encoded with iTunes will have a long delay before the artwork is applied. The ones encoded with Max have the artwork applied almost instantly with little delay. The iTunes ripper somehow screws up the files so it takes a while to modify them. I have no idea why it does that.

Also, when I was on my Windows machine, The tracks ripped with iTunes (Apple Lossless) were not exact copies from the CD. I used a music binary compare tool. However, If you ripped with a different app to WAV and then converted to Apple Lossless in iTunes, they were exactly the same as the original. I believe its the same way on the Mac, Stay away from the iTunes ripper as much as possible. I'm going to try to compare my Mac encoded files tomorrow and will post the results. I'm pretty sure the files ripped with iTunes won't be the same as the files ripped with Max.

hags2k

Post by hags2k » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:25 am

I wholeheartedly agree that secure ripping is the most important feature to have. There really is no product besides max that I'm aware of on the Mac that is even comparable to EAC in terms of secure ripping. So far, this program has provided the best results for me.

Once you get the audio off the cd as accurately as possible, you can do almost anything with it, and having the other cool features built-into Max is really a matter of integration and convenience. They're important, believe me, but not nearly as important as secure ripping, IMHO. I'm already to the point where I trust Max with my good-condition CDs, though for the tougher-to-read discs I still prefer to use my PC with a nice optical drive running EAC. That still works the best for me, it's just not nearly as convenient :)