Achieving "-V 2 --vbr-new" in Max?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
uff

Achieving "-V 2 --vbr-new" in Max?

Post by uff »

Hi there... I just found this application and I love it. I have been looking for something this sleek for OSX for a long time (I'm an EAC fan when it comes to Windows machines).

I see that in the MP3 Encoder Settings page there is no field to enter a custom commandline option. Are you guys thinking of adding this as an "Advanced" feature in the future?

Short of that, how can I achieve "-V 2 --vbr-new" by adjusting the slider bars and selecting options from the drop-down menus.

Right now I've selected:
Encoder Quality: Custom
Encoder Target: Quality
Encoding engine Quality: High
Stereo mode: Default
Quality: 80
Variable bitrate mode: Fast

This seems pretty close to the quality I want, but I'm wondering if there are any other selections I should be making to achieve "-V 2 --vbr-new".

Thanks!
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

This thread has some information on LAME settings.

Max uses the LAME library directly, so input of command line switches directly is not an option.

The short answer to your question is that using the "Transparent" preset corresponds to -V2 --vbr-new, which should correspond to the manual settings you describe.
uff

Post by uff »

sbooth wrote:This thread has some information on LAME settings.

Max uses the LAME library directly, so input of command line switches directly is not an option.

The short answer to your question is that using the "Transparent" preset corresponds to -V2 --vbr-new, which should correspond to the manual settings you describe.
awesome. thank you!
ipaludis

Post by ipaludis »

To my knowledge, the screenshot in the answer given at hydrogenaudio is not correct as to the encoding engine quality setting. To achieve -V2 --vbr-new, the encoding engine quality should be "high".

First I was worried about the explanation on the quality settings in Max help: "standard" = -q5 and "high" = -q2 because the the default for --vbr-new should be -q3. After some searches on hydrogenaudio, I found out that in --vbr-new q0=q1=q2=q3=q4. So there are indeed only three q levels in --vbr-new. See this thread on hydrogenaudio or a more recent post here.

Leaves me whith one question: how can I, with the current GUI, use the default -q3 in CBR (eg -b 320) :?:
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

ipaludis wrote:Leaves me whith one question: how can I, with the current GUI, use the default -q3 in CBR (eg -b 320) :?:
In the Max GUI, the "Encoding engine quality" popup button values correspond to:
  • Fast = 7
  • Standard = 5
  • High = 2
So you couldn't truly specify the equivalent of -q3. High would be your best option.