A more powerful “Recently Added” directory

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
k2103

A more powerful “Recently Added” directory

Post by k2103 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm

I note that, in Play, all the selection lists make it possible to remove titles which are at the same time removed from the library. Contrary to the Play Queue and Playlists, in which the removed titles are preserved in library.

Among those selection lists, the “Recently Added” seems very appropriated to manage all the entries made via the Play Queue or directly in the library.
Since all the new entries are found there temporarily, we can use it as a "dispatcher" to assign the new titles to one or some Playlists or to remove them, if we choose not to keep them in the library.
It is a management which we should do continuously, while benefitting from the passage of those titles in the “Recently Added” directory, because it would be much more difficult to find them again, thereafter, inside the entire library.

To extend the reach of this use, I would propose two modifications, which seem minor, but of great importance in my opinion:

1. - Allowing a variable limit to the number of titles contained in the list.
2. - Adding a variable limit of days for the the titles to be kept in.
And even a third, if I can permit me:
3. - Adding the option of a “Date Added” column.

We could determine those parameters, in the Preferences, by a figure contained between 1 and 00 (00 being the infinite), according to the needs and the uses of each one.
For example, in my case, I would choose 00 (infinite), for the first parameter, and a high enough figure for the second, because I refuse absolutely that titles remain in the library without to be classified.

And, which would be nice, it would be to identify, by a color or a tick, titles when classified.

Thank you to take this in consideration.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed May 16, 2007 8:35 am

That is a very complex way to put a simple request. :wink:

The "selection lists" are search results according to sets of pre-defined search criteria. You ask for user-definable search criteria for the "Recently Added" list:
- Maximum number of titles (show last nn titles) [the number is now apparently 25]
- Maximum period (show titles of last nn days) [there does not appear to be a limit now]

BTW 1: The "Date Added" column is already there. (Right-click or control-click the column headers to add or remove columns.)

BTW 2: The "Recently Added" list is not a directory or an existing list containing items temporarily. It is a selection made in the Library.

RonaldPR

Re: A more powerful “Recently Added” directory

Post by RonaldPR » Wed May 16, 2007 9:43 am

k2103 wrote:For example, in my case, I would choose 00 (infinite), for the first parameter, and a high enough figure for the second, because I refuse absolutely that titles remain in the library without to be classified.
Wouldn't that make the "Recently Added" list almost identical to the full Library list? You can sort the Library according to "Date Added".

k2103

Post by k2103 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:07 pm

RonaldPR wrote:BTW 1: The "Date Added" column is already there.
Sorry, I missed that.
This addition seems to be brought with the r804 update (May 13). I had done a first request just day before. Thanks to sbooth.
RonaldPR wrote:Wouldn't that make the "Recently Added" list almost identical to the full Library list? You can sort the Library according to "Date Added".
Certainly not. Because the titles included in this selection would be limited in time ("show titles of last nn days").

What makes it possible to work on a more restricted number of titles. It's the time which I would allow myself to direct each new entry towards some Playlists or to choose to remove it from the library (a kind of “dispatcher”).

Moreover, within this selection, we have the possibility of making a second sorting according to any column title.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 17, 2007 12:57 am

The Recently Added, Played, etc. are just meant to be another way to look at what's in your Library. I don't envision these being customizable, with the possible exception of the number of tracks to display in each.

I think a better solution for what you want is the ability to specify a smart playlist criterion "within the past XXX days/months/weeks/whatever" for date-based fields. I will look into the possibility of this.

k2103

Post by k2103 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 am

sbooth wrote:The Recently Added, Played, etc. are just meant to be another way to look at what's in your Library. I don't envision these being customizable, with the possible exception of the number of tracks to display in each.
I see that you care much about logic. It's a good principle to respect, but that limits sometimes versatility.

A variable number of titles would be certainly an improvement. But if I use this list to carry out the classification of the titles, I would like that those ones are identified in a certain way when classified (color or tick).
sbooth wrote:I think a better solution for what you want is the ability to specify a smart playlist criterion "within the past XXX days/months/weeks/whatever" for date-based fields. I will look into the possibility of this.
I don't prefer the idea of the Smart Playlist because it does not make it possible to remove titles from the library*. The new criterion that you propose should nevertheless be added in any event. Very good idea.

To be honest, without making insult with the logic of your program, here is what I have in my head:

The addition of a new selection list which would contain the “orphan” titles, i.e. those which are not yet classified in any Playlist.

All the new entries are placed in this list and remain there until we do something.
It's true that for somebody who would not make any classification, this list would be only a clone of the library.

But for somebody else, like me, it would be an extraordinary tool for the library management. Titles, when classified, are removed from this selection and those which we remove from this selection are removed from the library.
A kind of "dispatcher". It could be its name (perhaps not a good idea, but I don't know too well the English language).

* In fact, the option “Remove” in the local menu of Smart Playlists doesn't make any sense and should be grayed.