Custom file name woes

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Yonzie

Custom file name woes

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:32 am

I've been having trouble making Max understand what I want to do with my output file names.
On the surface, everything looks fine and it remembers my settings in the preference pane.
When encoding however, it only sometimes remembers what it should name the tracks like.
I've had this problem for a while, but I think I finally cracked it.

If I add a space, a dash or plain text, it won't remember (for encoding, but it displays fine).
If I AFTERWARDS add something with the drop-down menu, then it remembers.
Which means that I can't do this:
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - {trackTitle}
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - {trackArtist}{trackTitle}
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - {trackArtist} - {trackTitle}
But have to do this:
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - {trackTitle}
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - - {trackTitle}
{albumTitle} - {trackNumber} - {trackArtist} - {trackTitle}

The latter way, it will output the files correctly, the first way, it will look fine in preferences (even across restarts of Max and reboots) but work like in the middle step.

Now, I'm not completely certain that's where the problem lies, but it might sound plausible at least?

Again, using r1132 although the problem has been present since at least 0.6. Thanks!
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Maybe I miss something, but I am not sure I understand what you are trying to tell us and what does or doesn't work. It does not work if you build a name format and add extra characters halfway in it afterwards? I never even tried it like that, I simply build the format from start to end.

(Apparently you do not use the output file naming to organize the output in folders and subfolders but want the complete tag info in each separate file name? That will produce very long file names.)

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm sorry, I'm not always good at explaining things. :x
RonaldPR wrote:(Apparently you do not use the output file naming to organize the output in folders and subfolders but want the complete tag info in each separate file name? That will produce very long file names.)
Yes, it does, but that's how I like it. I find it annoying to have to enter/exit folders to find what I want.

The problem with this format is that I have to treat compilations and albums differently because compilations have 20 diffrent artists and thus wouldn't be grouped like it should. Conversely, my Michael Jackson albums won't be collated unless they start with the artist name.
RonaldPR wrote:Maybe I miss something, but I am not sure I understand what you are trying to tell us and what does or doesn't work. It does not work if you build a name format and add extra characters halfway in it afterwards? I never even tried it like that, I simply build the format from start to end.
What I'm trying to say is this:
* It remembers anything you write in the box
* It only tells the encoder what's in the box when a selection is made from the drop-down menu.
This means that one can add anything to the box as long as the drop-down menu is NOT used, and nothing will change on the files encoded.
Only when the drop-down menu is used will the encoder be told how to name the files.
Max remembers what the user puts in the custom-file-naming-box, it just doesn't act on it until the drop-down menu is used.

I made an error in the original post. When restarting Max the file-naming-format is reverted to what's actually output.
Therefore, my guess is that the problem is that the contents of the box is only saved when the drop-down menu is used. The encoder then loads the preference file, sees the (wrong) entry and uses that. The proper entry is then only kept in RAM.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 pm

After you have made changes to the format, hit return. Not only will the new format be saved, but it will also be added to the menu. (Did you notice it is a menu?) You can save several formats and simply choose from them in the menu.

Edit: One annoying problem: There appears to be no way to delete formats from the menu.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:24 pm

That certainly works.
I did notice that it was a menu, I just hadn't figured out how to use it.
Maybe it needs an extended menu or something? At least, I hope I'm not the only one thick enough not to realize how it works ;)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:42 pm

RonaldPR wrote:Edit: One annoying problem: There appears to be no way to delete formats from the menu.
Right now it just remembers the 10 most recently used formats.