What if..?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
maya

What if..?

Post by maya »

I really love the fact that Max now has Monkey's Audio support. By far, this is the best piece of software that has ever come to light.

What if a player came out of all things as well? Wouldn't that be something? :wink: :D

Or how about integrating Max and Tag with the player and something to totally kill iTunes? :o
“Unless you’ve seen KISS live, you don't understand the band.” —Paul Stanley, KISS. (2003).
sbooth
Site Admin

Re: What if..?

Post by sbooth »

maya wrote:What if a player came out of all things as well? Wouldn't that be something? :wink: :D
The thought of making a player actually had crossed my mind awhile back. Since the infrastructure for decoding all these formats to PCM is already in place I don't think it would be too hard to just feed it to the OS to play back. I decided not to do it because 1) I'm theoretically trying to write a secure ripper (which may be 40% complete depending on your point of view) and 2) I didn't want Max to become a Jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none piece of software. That is also the reason I made Tag a separate application in the first place; to separate the application domains.

If there is interest in a player in the same vein as Max and Tag (I guess it would have to be called Play) it is something I could consider at least trying to write!

Cog is a decent open-source player for OS X that already supports a lot of the formats (more in some regards) than Max.
maya wrote:Or how about integrating Max and Tag with the player and something to totally kill iTunes? :o
Well, I think an online free music store (would that even be a store?) is a bit out of my grasp :)
davebarnes

Post by davebarnes »

Stephen,

Do not waste energy on creating a player.

Apple makes a great one called iTunes.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com
macfeller

Post by macfeller »

There was once a plugin for FLAC on iTunes but IIRC it doesn't work with Tiger and/or latest iTunes. version. Unless you can hopefully tell me more about iTunes being sufficient. (Well, other than AppleLossless.)
maya

Post by maya »

Perhaps now since Cog and MAX/Tag have joined forces, maybe Cog can become Play? :wink:

Apple's iTunes would be so much better if they included support for other open-source codecs. :roll:
“Unless you’ve seen KISS live, you don't understand the band.” —Paul Stanley, KISS. (2003).
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I dont think we need more audio players for Mac OS X.

What we really need is a Core Audio plugin for the open-source codecs out there (like FLAC, WavPack, ...). That way we could play our files in iTunes or QuickTime Player.
Dibrom at Hydrogenaudio planned to code this, as part of his audio player "Euphonos". But the project seems to be dead now.

I really miss a decent ABX application for Mac OS X though. :hint:
FLACuncompressed

Post by FLACuncompressed »

I'm new to the forum but I think competition against iTunes and its choice of CODEC's is great. Of course the player would then have to sync with iPod?
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

krmathis wrote:I really miss a decent ABX application for Mac OS X though. :hint:
I am still looking for an ABX application. Anyone seen one lately..?
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

I haven't tried Java ABC/HR, but it should work on OS X.

It's not Cocoa, but it is something!
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

sbooth wrote:I haven't tried Java ABC/HR, but it should work on OS X.

It's not Cocoa, but it is something!
I have ABC/HR for Java running. But it is far from perfect on Mac OS X.
* Nasty popping noise when switching between audio streams.
* Only accept Wave files. No lossless (ALAC, FLAC, ...) or lossy (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, ...) encoded files. No AIFF files either.
* Does not look or behave like an OS X application.

There are lots of great ABX applications for MS Windows and GNU/Linux, but I have found none for Mac OS X. :(
yooper

Play anything-MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more

Post by yooper »

I ran across songbird, which seems to play close to everything (MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more) and it appears to offer a lot of funcuality. Even though the program is still a little early in development, it looks good. I like the fact that it is open-source, this should prove to be a major benefit in the near future.

There are some decent extensions already available for download.

A brief description lifted from their site.......

Play music.
Play the Web.™
Songbird™ is a desktop Web player, a digital jukebox and Web browser mash-up. Like Winamp, it supports extensions and skins feathers. Like Firefox®, it is built from Mozilla®, cross-platform and open source.

Here........http://www.songbirdnest.com/features
Mike1

Re: Play anything-MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more

Post by Mike1 »

yooper wrote:Like Firefox®, it is built from Mozilla®, cross-platform
Yes, cross-platform. That's a drawback. It's an alternative to iTunes (in some ways), but it is not yet mature, being at 0.2 developer preview last time I looked. And even if it were, it is basically cross-platform and based on XUL. Nice for Windows users, but on the Mac ...
Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner »

songbird imo has been quite unstable for a long time, though he has a good skill on his art department (by the look of visual design for app and web). first time i tried about more than a year ago, i couldnt properly use it without it crashing, the last time i tried half a year ago, it still crashed and a bit slow too.

wonder if its his coding or how xul is not a clean/stable implmentation but it cant take over music players anytime soon for being quite slow development, too bad his design doesnt look bad.