an interface for configuration of a lowpass filter?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
haleakalari

an interface for configuration of a lowpass filter?

Post by haleakalari »

i am not sure if this is the right forum to be bringing this issue up in as i just joined a few minutes ago, but are there any plans to implement an interface through which one could configure lowpass filter settings for either the audio conversion or the cd ripping function(s) of max?

i would appreciate any responses in regards to the subject.

thanks for an otherwise highly configurable and efficient audio application.

-ari
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

One idea I've thrown around is to allow processing the intermediate PCM audio through AudioUnits. Internally Max attaches a decoder to an input file which provides that file's audio as PCM. It shouldn't be too hard to pass that PCM through a chain of AudioUnits before it is handed off to the encoder.

I think the difficult portion would be the GUI that allowed configuration of which AudioUnits to use and in what order!

Any responses to this idea?
haleakalari

Post by haleakalari »

well, i have been trying to read up on this potentially system-integrated AudioUnit feature in os x, but have not had the time to develop a strong grasp on the topic as of yet (due to a heavy course-load this semester, and some other issues). but, i was thinking more along the lines of the possible implementation of a configuration dialog for the lowpass filter on specific formats that support their own routines for applying said filter. do not the more recent releases of lame [through gpsycho] and aotuv sport this feature? maybe it can be more easily actualized on the component level, ay?
golemB

Post by golemB »

sbooth wrote:I think the difficult portion would be the GUI that allowed configuration of which AudioUnits to use and in what order!

Any responses to this idea?
I'm not a GUI designer, but here's what I picture in my mind:

A list of rows of description (much like you have in Play), and each time you highlight one, a set of properties for that AudioUnit is displayed and adjustable. Drag and drop to reorder the sequence, and checkboxes to enable/disable each one. Also, perhaps a user-selectable "test sound" that you can click to hear the effect of all the AudioUnits. And eventually, templates to save sets of AUs and their settings.

Then again, maybe simplify if it's too much effort compared to the payoff...
woody77

Re: an interface for configuration of a lowpass filter?

Post by woody77 »

If your ripping primarily for portable music players, the ability to run it through an AudioUnit that would cross-mix the audio a touch would be nice. Many headphone amps do this, mixing a bit of the right channel into the left ear, and vice versa. This is to more accurately produce the sound the ears hear from stereo speakers. Dunno if it's good or bad, just know that they do it. Very much a personal preference sort of thing.