Split file with cue excluding pregap

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
gregt

Split file with cue excluding pregap

Post by gregt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Hello,

I recently re-ripped all of my CDs to Apple Lossless with Cue for archival. Using Max, I would like to convert these to individual track files in AAC or MP3 to import into iTunes, but not include the pre-gap (INDEX 00) at the beginning of each track (this is sometimes 10 seconds of silence or more). Can an option be added to Max to ignore or omit the pre-gap and split starting at INDEX 01 of each track? If this isn't possible, does anyone know of another Mac OS X-Intel program to do this?

Thanks in advance.

mattn

Re: Split file with cue excluding pregap

Post by mattn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 am

XLD can do what you describe.

gregt

Post by gregt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks mattn. I use XLD as well, but its MP3 encoder options are somewhat limited.

After looking further into this, it appears that when Max rips a CD, it includes the pre-gap at the end of the previous track, which is actually what I want. When transcoding from a cue sheet, however, Max includes the pre-gap at the beginning of the current track. If this was consistent (pre-gap at end of previous track) it would be perfect.

sbooth - any chance of getting this fixed/changed, or at least an option to control it?

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 pm

I think you could do this now by manually changing the INDEX entries in the cue sheets, but yes, in the long run this should be an option for image+cue splitting.

gregt

Post by gregt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't really want to mess with the cue sheets just to work around this - I have way too many files to deal with.

Any idea when this option might make it into Max? It hasn't been updated for well over 2 years.

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:51 am

Excellent question about the Max revision. My current priorities are (in order): Tag (90% complete), Decibel (30%) complete, then Max. I've stopped giving date estimates because I can't hold to them given my other commitments!

mattn

Post by mattn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:50 am

What would be cool would be if Max's code were compatible with Xcode 4.2 / 4.3 and available for forking and contributions on GitHub...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

https://github.com/sbooth/Max

The svn import seems to be flaky (some refs or tags may have been lost), but I didn't want to lose the code history. That is why I hadn't done this sooner.

mattn

Post by mattn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Cool, thanks. Now let's see if I can build it...!

mattn

Post by mattn » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, I couldn't (build it). The code relies upon numerous external frameworks that are not provided, and there are no instructions for obtaining them.