The new name for Max will be...

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.

What should the new name be?

myAudio
16%
Audio Duper
3%
Audiophora
49%
Halcyone
32%

Total votes: 37

live4ever

Post by live4ever » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:44 pm

I still like Max too.

phule

Post by phule » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:52 pm

live4ever wrote:I still like Max too.
But if Max has to be renamed, I'd like the name Halcyone.
Bob

woody77

Post by woody77 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:38 am

I like Max, but if not Max, then Halcyone.

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Fri May 12, 2006 6:33 pm

First choice would be Max but there are at least two other apps with that name and several more with Max as part of the name. So, my second choice is Euterpe as suggested by another poster, but that's not in the list. So's I gotta go with Halcyone (or however it was spelled).

Whatever it's known by Max is super and I am glad to see such development on it and it's cousins.

alex

Post by alex » Sun May 28, 2006 12:42 pm

How about something off the beaten track. The Mexica god of (among others) dance & song was Xochipilli ("Flower Prince") aka Macuilxochitl ("Five Flowers") ("x" = "sh"). Either name is rather a mouthful, but abbreviated to, say, "Macuil" or "Xochi",…

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Mon May 29, 2006 7:36 am

I too like it the simple name of Max, which isn't bad at all.

And no one will have difficulty in spelling to make sure they tell the name proper with Max, but the only downside to using a simple name is when you want to search about Max on google, you will need to complement with some other words... and results may become a little obscure. But same goes by using a complicated name, people spell it differently all over making results hit less :roll: , so who knows...

FLACuncompressed

myAudio

Post by FLACuncompressed » Mon May 29, 2006 9:09 am

If it's not taken, a name like myAudio which is generic on purpose is appropriate. Frequently I rename programs on my Mac to what they really are, directly, and overall.

I.e., Photos, Internet...

This pleases me. I'm not a usability expert but I respect Apple's use in quite a few of its computer concepts of language that is relevant to what the product does and not too arbitrary.

lupus

Post by lupus » Tue May 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Scipio (as in Scipio africanus, the clever Roman general who defeated Hannibal).

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Wed May 31, 2006 11:48 pm

I'm going to have to be difficult and do a write-in vote for "Max" as well. While I'm at it I also vote for the icon/logo to remain the same but modify the Tag tool's icon to have more of a "Sharpie" felt-tip look to it. They are companion products after all. :)
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton

floatinglist

I vote for Max!

Post by floatinglist » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 am

I vote for Max!

Having been in Linux-land for the past 4 years, I there was a lot of activity in the GNOME and KDE mailing lists about naming. Maybe browsing some archives would provide some inspiration.

You can go with a generic (descriptive) name, or a catchy name.

Max is great because it is short (easily pronounced and remembered); its name even fits on the icon! (It even matches the other two components' naming style and seems friendly to multiple languages.)

Part of the name is part of the marketing effort. And, marketing is largely about being easily remembered (and quickly recalled)--through cleverness or brute force.

If something longer is wanted, here are some more suggestions based on Max being a generic audio conversion tool (rather than just a ripper or just a transcoder):
SoundStage
SoundTool

I even like mySound better than myAudio (2 vs. 3 syllables).

kefa

Post by kefa » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:16 am

myaudio is a bit windozey for my liking - OS X has steered clear of 'My Computer' and 'My Documents' and the like.

I too would vote for Max, or at least some derivative.

What the reason for change - is it so that you can register a domain name?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:26 pm

kefa wrote:What the reason for change - is it so that you can register a domain name?
No, it was more a reaction to some complaints I had received about the name Max. At this point I am actually somewhat inclined to keep it, due to inertia more than anything else.

ganwell

Short is good

Post by ganwell » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:12 pm

If you can't keep Max, try Xam.

jetcx

Post by jetcx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:43 am

Another vote for MAX.

I like the fact that the trio is all named with mono syllable names. MAX, COG, TAG. Simple, elegant.

If forced to rename. I would propose, RIG. Thus all the names would end with a G. Plus I think RIG sounds great!

alexs

Post by alexs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:18 am

How about:

ARC
(Audio Ripper/Converter)

Retains the simplicity of Max, while being relevant to what the app actually does and not stepping on the toes of any other well-established audio apps. :)