Rip a DVD?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
phule

Rip a DVD?

Post by phule »

Can Max rip (& encode) a DVD containing music?
Bob

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Rip a DVD?

Post by sbooth »

phule wrote:Can Max rip (& encode) a DVD containing music?
No, but I wish it could! I actually bought a DVD-Audio disc to investigate this possibility, and I almost cried when I started working on it. As best I can tell extracting DVD-Audio is essentially impossible with the current state of affairs. There is a decent amount of info over at HydrogenAudio if you're interested.

ye

Post by ye »

For encoding there is a program: DVD-Audiofile to be found at versiontracker. it is based on the open source program dvda-author (see http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/).

For ripping there are two problems:

1. The, OPTIONAL, copy protection. Most commercial DVD-Audio disk are encrypted. This a very hard to crack copy protection ( apart doing so would be probably illegal).

2. Reading/converting the DVD-audio-format.

I would be glad if Max would be able to do the later!
It could be used to read self burned high definition Audio DVDs. And not all commercial DVD-audios are encrypted. E.g. the Audionet Retold DVD is not. ( http://www.audionet.de/indexe.html then click on Accessories).

General Jack D. Ripper

MacTheRipper

Post by General Jack D. Ripper »

Why not just rip the DVD using Mactheripper, and then demux the VOB files using something like FFmpeg?

Or you could use OSEx or Extractor to rip the DVD directly into elemental streams, audio and video.

Either method gets you an AC3 audio file. Use mAC3dec to convert the audio to AIFF, and your good to go.

Theoretically this is illegal, but if you only use the audio for your own, personal enjoyment, it's unlikely any federal agents will bust through your door. Just don't talk about it over the phone (NSA snoops and all).

ye

Post by ye »

Well, I was more thinking about DVD-Audio-s, so the stuff in the AUDIO_TS folder, so (in the best case) lossles 24bit 192kHz music (MLP format)

General Jack D. Ripper

Just tried the method I outlined

Post by General Jack D. Ripper »

And got some strange results.

First, the AC3 file for a concert DVD of about an hour was only a couple hundred MBs. Is this right? I thought DVDs had at least CD quality sound, so shouldn't the AC3 file be at least the size of a CD?

Or is it just that the compression format is more efficient than that used for CDs?

ye

Post by ye »

CD Audio is uncompressed. AC3 is a compressed (and lossy) format.

By the way, what you got this way is the audio track of a video DVD containing a concert :wink: