Help I lost my tags, when I converted!!

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
tmesselt

Help I lost my tags, when I converted!!

Post by tmesselt » Sun May 24, 2009 5:21 am

So I just converted most of my flac collection to aiff via max.
I did a test run with my settings and the first couple of passes the tags made the conversion.
So I am not sure, maybe I changed a setting, but now upwards of 500-600 albums all are tagless now!!
This is not the worst thing in the world for me as I was pretty efficient with mp3tag.

The problem is that I can not find an id3 tag editor the will support aiff.
So I am kinda stumped here, I know that I can use itunes to do this, but there is now way the I can sort my library by path, to be able to add a few simple tags by hand.

Any ideas anyone? I really dont want to convert to alac, to be able to use an id3 editor but it may come down to that if I cant find an editor.

tmesselt

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Help I lost my tags, when I converted!!

Post by sbooth » Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Max doesn't tag AIFF directly, but if you use Max to add to your iTunes library the tags should make it. However, in your case it sounds like the tags didn't make it through.

May I ask why you converted to AIFF? I would recommend Apple Lossless as the sound quality is identical but it supports tagging directly in iTunes.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sat May 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Not to mention the fact that Apple Lossless doesn't needlessly consume space like AIFF does.

tmesselt

Post by tmesselt » Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 pm

sbooth,

Gotcha, that is what I originally did and they made it, then I switched it off when I did the majority of my collection. I thought that importing to itunes was freezing the program but I think it was just the fact that I had a few shn files in the directory causing max to freeze? Not sure but thats all I can think it was.
Anyhow as far as the aiff / alac debate I just wanted to go with uncompressed lossless and at $100 per TB I think I can afford to have a few of those in the name off fully uncompressed files. (Overkill??? Maybe but it sounds great!)

Luckily I still have some of my collection to convert, and I can change the setting, as I put the artist and album tag in by hand for 500-600 albums!!! It wasnt too fun.

Anyhow great work on the software, I just wished I woulda imported straight to itunes with my whole collection, but its all set now.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sun May 31, 2009 12:29 am

I was under the impression that both ALAC and FLAC were completely uncompressed just as AIFF and WAV. The difference being that ALAC and FLAC save space by ripping at a variable bit rate, rather than needlessly consuming space for sound that isn't in the track.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 am

Lateralus wrote:I was under the impression that both ALAC and FLAC were completely uncompressed just as AIFF and WAV. The difference being that ALAC and FLAC save space by ripping at a variable bit rate, rather than needlessly consuming space for sound that isn't in the track.
Your impression is correct- if you are not editing files directly, using uncompressed PCM is typically not necessary.