Max connecting to FreeDB

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
blueteq

Max connecting to FreeDB

Post by blueteq » Tue May 19, 2009 1:23 pm

I have been a Max user for a long time now, just to transcode tracks not playable on the ipod.
Recently I procured a Linn DS and need to rip all my CD's in a lossless format, which Max is great for.
Best feature is that I can just keep Max Running and if I slot a disk into my Mac Mini it is ripped automatically and then spat out when done.

Great feature is MusicBrainz but as mentioned before by other users it is not the most accurate way of doing it, and when it did not get any track details for a Roger Waters disk I new I had to make a plan.
Is there a way to link CDDB or FreeDB using Max?

Thanks,
Enjoy the music...

blueteq

Re: Max connecting to FreeDB

Post by blueteq » Wed May 20, 2009 9:44 am

Maybe I dont need to connect to freedb or cddb.

I have a problem getting track names.
iTunes gets every CD I own track names for some reason I only have a 20% success rate with MAX.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, As mentioned in the prevoius post I have it setup to auto-rip my disk on insert.
Even trying manually ripping the disk, thinking that the track listing times out. Still wont work.

Would appreciate some help. Thanks

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm

You are probably not doing anything wrong. MusicBrainz will not supply the data for many disks. Max is limited to using free databases. iTunes uses the commercial Gracenote. Max used to use freedb, which is better than MusicBrainz, but some time ago it seemed that freedb service would stop because of conflicts and Max switched to MusicBrainz. Freedb continued and now it would have been better if Max had stayed with freedb. You can use the Gracenote data in Max with the included "Get iTunes Metadata" script. The script will use iTunes to get the metadata from Gracenote and fill the fields in Max.

blueteq

Post by blueteq » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 am

Thank you for the reply,

The Script works wonderfully, its just my automated ripping wont work.
This is something I am looking to deploy for customers, if I am to buy a subscription to Gracenote... will I be able to plugin the login and server details for Max to use it?

I assume NO, as MusicBrainz uses a different back end?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 am

Indeed, NO.

Maybe it is possible to create a script (or something with Automator?) that will start the "Get iTunes Metadata" script when a audio CD is mounted?

blueteq

Post by blueteq » Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Will play around with it, also thinking the ROM Actions under system preferences, save the script as an application, run it on disc insert.