Max: Current recommended secure ripping settings

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
EmbeddedTim

Max: Current recommended secure ripping settings

Post by EmbeddedTim » Sun May 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Max is a great piece of SW - I love it!

To talk quickly about everyone's favorite topic: Max and secure ripping :D

What is the current (Max 0.8.1) recommended settings for secure ripping?

Most importantly, does Max offer the user information that the rip may not have been performed perfectly (error messages) ?
Beyond that, what are the recommended settings to guarantee that the user is notified that an exact duplicate may not have occurred, while attempting to maintain near duplicate quality.

Thanks for any insight!
Tim

Mike1

Re: Max: Current recommended secure ripping settings

Post by Mike1 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:19 pm

EmbeddedTim wrote:oes Max offer the user information that the rip may not have been performed perfectly
If you use Stephen's other ripper instead --

http://sbooth.org/Rip/

-- it will check against rips others have made using the AccurateRip database.

However, it's still in beta. He has a note on the page saying drop him line if you'd like to beta-test it.

EmbeddedTim

Post by EmbeddedTim » Sun May 10, 2009 6:51 pm

From the AccurateRip site, it seems like there is currently no-way to ensure that your rip is accurate unless you explicitly test against others who have ripped the same media, correct?

Are there any plans to bring the process from the Rip app into Max?

The Comparison Ripper or the CDParanoia method currently in Max does not provide output that is "good enough"?

Thanks!
Tim

JonPB

Post by JonPB » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:18 pm

How do you define "good enough" for you?

For my purposes, Max can rip CDs, and the files sound great, when my CD player cannot play the disc without problems. So, for me, Max is "good enough." Would I want to use Rip, if it provides better accuracy? Sure, if it doesn't add more time to the process. Will I re-rip my discs because there might be a few bits incorrect in my files? Not unless I can hear the problem.

Max is certainly good enough for me.

randian

Post by randian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 am

Is Rip the replacement for Max?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Sorta. Rip does not use paranoia nor does it rip to more than one format at the same time. If your CD's not in AR and you want to have the luxury of multi-format encoding ...

randian

Post by randian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Fuga wrote:Sorta. Rip does not use paranoia nor does it rip to more than one format at the same time. If your CD's not in AR and you want to have the luxury of multi-format encoding ...
OK. I've been wondering why Max has been stuck on 0.8.1 for the better part of a year, and why my last bug report didn't get a response from anybody. It gives the impression that Max development is completely stalled, or worse it has been abandoned.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:43 pm

randian wrote:OK. I've been wondering why Max has been stuck on 0.8.1 for the better part of a year, and why my last bug report didn't get a response from anybody. It gives the impression that Max development is completely stalled, or worse it has been abandoned.
The development on Max is stalled a bit, because I don't have as much time as I did to devote to its development. I do have plans on the horizon, though, and as-is Max is a decent piece of software.

lykose

Post by lykose » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:38 pm

indeed, max is in the current status a decent piece of software
BUT
you have to be aware of the fact, that people are getting more and more to xld side BECAUSE of the fact, that the last max-update was long time ago.
don´t get me wrong, i´m talking at many places (mostly forums) about max and i always recommend it. i just can tell you what i read there. mostly it´s all the same: max is outdated, components like cdparanoia, libsndfile, LAME are outdated, max is dead, there will be no further development,...
in relation to this the antagonist xld get regular updates and by this it seems in constant development and improvment.

i don´t think that you, being the developer of max, don´t care about such evolutions. i understand that time is a luxus and that there are projects like rip going on. (well, me still thinks that it would be better to have a ripper AND converter in one app, but that´s not the point.) in my eyes, if there are not much technical improvments to apply to max, an gui overwork would do the trick. on the one hand people would see an further development and on the other hand max would "look" better and "fresher".
but hey, i´m not a coder and don´t know how much work it would be to give max a new gui.

so, plz don´t get me wrong. i´m loving max and using it very often. therefor i care about it and it´s future. just wanted to give you some facts about what the opinions at other places are.
peace, respect and THANK YOU for max.