FLAC to AIFF coversion

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
rydenfan

FLAC to AIFF coversion

Post by rydenfan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 pm

I have used MAX to rip all of my albums in FLAC. I now want to convert everything to AIFF or Apple Lossless so that I can use itunes. I have a pretty big folder of music so here are my questions:

1. Can I do the whole conversion in one shot?

2. I have used TAG to create custom tags, will this transfer to itunes? or will this be lost?

3. For albums that album art could not be found I would find the image on google image, name it cover.jpg and put it in the folder of the album. This worked for squeezecenter but will it work for itunes?

Thanks so much for the help!! I want to try and make the convserion as smooth as possible and it only through the help I receive here is that possible :D

Mike1

Re: FLAC to AIFF coversion

Post by Mike1 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:04 am

rydenfan wrote:I have used MAX to rip all of my albums in FLAC. I now want to convert everything to AIFF or Apple Lossless so that I can use itunes.
You'd definitely be better off with Apple Lossless. AIFF is not appropriate for this.
1. Can I do the whole conversion in one shot?
You should be able to point Max at the FLAC files and just leave it to do them all. However, I think some people who have had Max set to put the finished files into the iTunes' folder have encountered problems. I've never used that option: I always just import files from within iTunes, so I haven't encountered the problem.
2. I have used TAG to create custom tags, will this transfer to itunes?
I can't see that you would be able to see them, even if Max puts them in the Apple Lossless files. I don't think there's anywhere that iTunes could display them. On the window that comes up when you select "GetInfo" it just has boxes for the tags it knows about and is expecting. (But free-form text can be entered in "Comments" of course.)
3. For albums that album art could not be found I would find the image on google image, name it cover.jpg and put it in the folder of the album. This worked for squeezecenter but will it work for itunes?
No, iTunes has its own system. If you have an account at iTunes and are signed in, it tries to find artwork for anything you add that lacks it in the iTunes Store. It stores any artwork it finds for albums in ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork. But if you've imbedded a graphic in a file, it uses that instead.

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Thu May 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks for the help! What is Apple Lossless called in MAX? I dont see it as an option.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri May 08, 2009 8:39 am

rydenfan wrote:Thanks for the help! What is Apple Lossless called in MAX? I dont see it as an option.
"MPEG4 Audio" (the first one from the top) and then choose Apple Lossless.

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks!!

I tried converting a few of my FLAC files last night to AIFF and am having major problems. So some reason all of my metadata and embedded album artwork is not transfering :( Why would this be? Am I doing something wrong? I am under the impression that AIFF is capable of handling all of that information so I am at a loss.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Max doesn't read tags in AIFF files, so any metadata in them will not be transferred.

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Fri May 08, 2009 6:37 pm

sbooth wrote:Max doesn't read tags in AIFF files, so any metadata in them will not be transferred.
That is to bad :( is there any way that it could be added so that MAX could read metadata in AIFF? This would be a big help. Thanks!

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 pm

You started this thread telling that your files are FLAC files and that you want to convert them to AIFF or Apple Lossless for use in iTunes. So why is it a problem that Max does not read metadata in AIFF? You can convert your FLAC files to Apple Lossless. Even if Max could handle metadata in AIFF, Apple Lossless would be better suited for this purpose.

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm

RonaldPR wrote:You started this thread telling that your files are FLAC files and that you want to convert them to AIFF or Apple Lossless for use in iTunes. So why is it a problem that Max does not read metadata in AIFF? You can convert your FLAC files to Apple Lossless. Even if Max could handle metadata in AIFF, Apple Lossless would be better suited for this purpose.
From what I have been reading AIFF has superior sound quality to Apple Lossless. I am just after the highest possible sound quality

ted_b

Post by ted_b » Fri May 08, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm stumped as to why you'd say AIFF isn't "appropriate" for iTunes. There are many audiophiles and music lovers out there who have discovered that storage is dirt cheap and compression, however lossless, is sometimes/possibly/theoretically audible. As Chris Connaker, of Computer Audiophile says, "why risk it? Use AIFF". Furthermore, AIFF is meant to store metadata (unlike WAV on the pc side). So, if MAX just doesn't like AIFF and therefore doesn't store it's metadata, I can fully understand; it's a conscious decision. But why is AIFF termed inappropriate?

Thanks..
Ted

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:15 pm

rydenfan wrote: From what I have been reading AIFF has superior sound quality to Apple Lossless.
The source you were reading is misinformed. The sound quality is identical.