Max/iTunes Comment Field Issue

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
bionaut

Max/iTunes Comment Field Issue

Post by bionaut » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

I am converting FLAC files to MP3 in Max. I have tracked down an issue with Comment field data not appearing in iTunes after importing the converted MP3 files. I have been using an intermediate program, Media Rage, to help sort this out. Using a tool that shows a 'Data Dump' of the file I have discovered that the Comment field in the MP3 file produced by Max begins with the characters ^XXX. The Comment does not show in iTunes. If I copy the comment, and then paste it in over itself in Media Rage, then the Comment begins with the characters ^eng, and consequently now shows in iTunes.

I am wondering whether this might make sense at this point, and whether there would be a way to address this in Max that would allow the Comment field to be read by iTunes straight out of the converted file.

Thank you, Chris

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max/iTunes Comment Field Issue

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm

What tagger/player are you using the final MP3 files with? The eng is a language code (english) that is specified in the ID3v2.4 specification (http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames) section 4.10.

bionaut

Re: Max/iTunes Comment Field Issue

Post by bionaut » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Here's the workflow on my Mac OSX...

1. Tag FLAC files in Media Rage.

2. Convert FLAC to MP3 in Max (I have made a few changes to field names in the Tagging Preferences panel to get the FLAC tags showing properly in the converted MP3 files).

3. Convert Comment field in Media Rage (The Comment fields show properly in Media Rage at this stage, but not in iTunes. I have been copying the contents of the Comment field to the clipboard while in Media Rage, and then pasting it back in. Somehow, this converts the ^XXX to ^eng, rendering the comments readable by iTunes).

4. Add files to iTunes 8.1.1 for playing and further tagging as needed.