24bit flac?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
ganwell

24bit flac?

Post by ganwell »

Hi

I wanted to compress a release I have to send to a label. It is 24bit, 44.1kHz. Flac isn't working with 24bit. Therefore I used Apple Lossless.

Still, I wonder why it doesn't work, the flac homepage states that 24bit should work.

Best,
Ganwell
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

ganwell

Post by ganwell »

hmm, sbooth says.
I have implemented 8, 16, 24 and 32-bit file conversions for Max for the formats that support these frame sizes (PCM, FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio). Also, the original sampling rate for audio not at 44.1kHz should be preserved.
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

There was a bug in the 24-bit audio handling of 0.6.1. I have fixed the bug in svn, but haven't released a new version yet. I have tested the new changes with FLAC, WavPack, Ogg (basically everything but Monkey's Audio). If anyone could test the svn version I would be grateful!
ganwell

Post by ganwell »

I tested Max from svn. Things I noticed:

1. The first time I tried only flac: the encoder hanged on queued
2. Then I tried with flac, ogg flac, ogg vorbis, wavpack: conversion worked on all? (If it really works I only know when converting back)
3. I tested flac alone again: worked
4. I converted all the files back to aiff 24bit, all but wavpack worked. The aif of wavpack was silent.
6. 74 MB got to: 73 MB flac (max compression), 63 MB (wavpack), Apple Lossless would be 53 MB

Best,
Ganwell
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

ganwell wrote:4. I converted all the files back to aiff 24bit, all but wavpack worked. The aif of wavpack was silent.
Was this on a PPC or Intel Mac? I swear I tested this on my PowerBook and it worked fine. I will check again!
ganwell

Post by ganwell »

PPC, I never used wavpack.. maybe I did something wrong?