Max generates white noise

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
randian

Max generates white noise

Post by randian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 am

Max generates nothing but white noise when ripping The Essential Barbra Streisand on my iMac G5. The CD plays just fine in iTunes, but it does something to Max that makes it generate noise rather than listenable tracks. I'm using the cdparanoia ripper, with full paranoia and error correction enabled and "no skipping".

I just tried the comparison ripper with SHA-256. That generates listenable tracks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max generates white noise

Post by sbooth » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:36 pm

I've seen this before on a very small number of discs but I'm not sure why it happens. I haven't had a chance to investigate to see if the same disc still give white noise with the new version of cdparanoia.

randian

Post by randian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

I wonder if it's some sort of copy protection scheme. It's not mere white noise, it's harsh, brutal noise that would probably blow your tweeters if you had the volume turned up. I had to throw off my headphones the instant I started playing my rip in order to protect my hearing. That still wouldn't explain why cdparanoia failed and the comparison ripper worked.

DaftUnion

Post by DaftUnion » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 pm

It's rare, but I've had a couple (say about 5 discs out of 500+ cd's so far I've ripped) that have the white noise with the full blown paranoia with no skipping enabled. Personally, I'd just keep going on whatever you're ripping, make a note of the cd's that gave you white noise in paranoia, and re-rip them with the comparison ripper.

randian

Post by randian » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Other sources make me think there may be an endianness issue in Max, possibly in the byte order of the ripped CD bitstream being encoded.