Apple lossless to AIFF changes bit rate and no art

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
herman

Apple lossless to AIFF changes bit rate and no art

Post by herman »

I have most of my music encoded with Apple lossless on my Mac and most of that music is good old redbook 16/44.1. However, some is 24/96 that I either purchased or digitized from vinyl. So I see some 1.5 Tbyte drives today for $229 at Best Buy and figure, I'll just go back to AIFF just in case there really is a sonic difference and keep the lossless as backup. I can use Max to convert but it converts everything to whatever I set it to. In other words if I select 16 bits the 24 bit stuff is reduced and if I select 24 bit it coverts the 16 to 24. Maybe going 16 to 24 would be better but the file sizes get huge and take up too much room. Max took a 66Mb file from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 and it ended up at 160Mb. MAX loses the album art too. Files are scattered around on several drives and it would be a big PITA to go figure out which are 16 and which are 24 and then use MAX set to the matching bit rate..

Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Apple lossless to AIFF changes bit rate and no art

Post by sbooth »

There was/is a bug in Apple Lossless handling in Max 0.8.1 that would cause the bit depth to be converted to 16. It's fixed in svn, but hasn't been posted as an unstable version.

However, for converting to AIFF the bit depth will always be what you have set in the output preferences. If the bit depths don't match, the file will be dithered as required. This is different from, say FLAC handling, where the bit depth of the output will be set to match that of the input (or 16 in the case of lossy files).

As for the artwork, Max doesn't currently tag AIFF at all so you won't get any tag or album art information saved anywhere.

herman

Post by herman »

thanks for the prompt response.

so you don't know of anything that will do what I want, which is take a mixed bag of Apple lossless files, some 16/44.1 and some 24/96 and batch convert them all to AIFF retaining the bit and sample rates and tags? :(

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

Max doesn't do this now, but the feature (no default bit depth conversion) is planned in the future.

There is no AIFF tagging standard, so your mileage will vary. I've seen ID3 tags embedded in a WAVE chunk, but never for AIFF.

I think iTunes can do this- just set up your preferred format as AIFF, add the ALAC files, and then right-click on them and convert.

herman

Post by herman »

once again, thanks for the prompt response.

The problem with using iTunes is it has no option for converting 24 bit lossles files to 24 bit AIFF files, If you choose converting to AIFF everything ends up at 16 bits.

I've purchsed some 24/96 FLAC files from HDtracks and used MAX to convert them to 24/96 Apple lossless and that works fine, but if you try to use iTunes to covert them to AIFF you end up with 16 bit files.