Old Max User, New-b Level Question...

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
elduderino

Old Max User, New-b Level Question...

Post by elduderino » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:33 pm

So...been using Max on and off for couple years now, and lately much much more, and I gotta say, the latest release is kick-ass and I've finally officially embarked on my ripping/archiving project that I delayed for far too long! So, I'm simultaneously ripping/encoding in FLAC and 320kbps MP3, to different directories, all is well...here's my silly as all heck question:

What is the best way to take a lossless FLAC album and burn an audio CD from them? I seriously don't know the best way...of course the MP3's from iTunes can just be "Burn to CD"'d...but no FLAC of course in iTunes...so how does one best do this with FLAC files to retain the higher quality when the audio CD is made? Again, sorry for the new-b question, but now that I have over 500GB of FLAC files, I'd love to know how to create audio CD's for car/hifi use. To be clear, I don't want to have a disc of flac files, ie a data disc, I want to be able to use this CD in any audio CD player.

Thanks again all, I have been lurking and learning from so many threads on here I can't even tell you, and I thank sbooth from the bottom of my heart for making this app so much a critical part of my computing/musical enjoyment! Seriously, no bull, absolutely couldn't live without this app. I'm excited to see what the new AccurateRip-based ripper tool he is developing is gonna be all about.

Thanks for the insight guys,
Brian

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Old Max User, New-b Level Question...

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:05 am

If you have a FLAC album you want to burn, I think it will take two steps:
  • Convert to WAV or AIFF using Max
  • Burn those files to an audio CD using Burn

elduderino

Re: Old Max User, New-b Level Question...

Post by elduderino » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:50 pm

Thank you kind sir, made perfect sense. I ended up taking the easy way out, as I found out that Toast 9 can do this no problem...I don't know why I never thought of this...I went and grabbed up a copy of Toast, and it burns directly to an audio CD from flac files in one easy step. Phew! Being lazy for sure, but just wanted to make sure that I could re-create my audio CD's from FLAC losslessly and easily...happy to say I now can.

Thanks again!