Improving rip speed

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
nicolaluna

Improving rip speed

Post by nicolaluna » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:16 am

Hello,

So I am very new to Max and am so far very impressed. But now I am wondering are there any specific settings I can tweak to make it Rip faster, and what (if any) are the respective consequences? It seems pretty slow on my machine, (MacBook OSX 10.4.11,) but I am used to iTunes speed. Don't worry,I ain't goin' back. :) Just looking to see how to make this work best.

Thank you!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Improving rip speed

Post by sbooth » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm

Which ripper are you using? If you want faster rips, the basic ripper will be ideal.

nicolaluna

Re: Improving rip speed

Post by nicolaluna » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Hello Shane,

Thanks for replying so soon, and by the way I am in love with and am planning on marrying Max. I hope this is ok with you, because you're the dad. :wink: I also hope that it is ok that I plugged your program on Songbird's help site, since other people there were looking for something like this, and I had trouble finding you. http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/top ... o_songbird (If not I can delete this.)

So, I had "comparison ripper" selected last night when I ripped my first cd. And you are correct, when I change to "Basic Ripper" it is quite fast. The quality seems the same, and from what I understand now as long as the cd is in good condition Basic will generally create equal quality, right?

Also I would like to know if *most* people hear an significant difference between transparent and portable bitrate. And in the encoder format section, if the bottom adjustment bar is for bitrate, then what is the top one for? (I know higher numbers better quality but higher numbers of what?)

I'm happy to be pointed to previous answers if they're already there, if they are I missed them. Thank you again for your great work! :D :!: :D