Max rip vs. iTunes import

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
walstib72

Max rip vs. iTunes import

Post by walstib72 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:24 pm

I finally have the drive space to get my commercial CD collection into iTunes. My plan is to bring the music in as Apple Lossless.

What advantage does using Max offer over using iTunes itself to do it? I have a lot of flac files that I can easily see Max helping to convert for use with iTunes. I've got a ton of CD's and if this program does a better job ripping, I want to know how to best put it to use!

I guess the error correction options are the most confusing part to me, but they do seem more flexible with Max. Without listening to every single note of my music collection as I rip it, how will I know if I need it? What effect does ripping it all in the "safest" mode have on the quality of the output?

Thanks for any help.

Mike1

Re: Max rip vs. iTunes import

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:16 am

I think a lot of people like Max because it can encode to formats not available in iTunes, such as FLAC and LAME MP3. Besides that it's valued for its ability to encode to more than one format at a time. And, as you say, it's a good conversion tool.

When it comes to encoding to a format that's available in iTunes I don't know that it has any particular advantage. The feeling -- there's no hard data to suggest definitive answers here -- seems to be that if a CD is in good condition what software does the ripping is not important. So probably any of Max's three rippers or the the ripper in iTunes would be fine with CDs like that. If a CD is a bit scratched Max may have a little more to offer:
For damaged discs, Max can either use its built-in comparison ripper (for drives that cache audio) or the error-correcting power of cdparanoia.
CDParanoia is generally quite liked and trusted, because it has error correction and because it's been around for awhile and is known on multiple platforms. I'd hazard a guess that most people who choose it use Max's default settings for it.

But, AFAIK, nobody's done any controlled experiments resulting in evidence that could yield definitive answers.

walstib72

Re: Max rip vs. iTunes import

Post by walstib72 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for your input. :)

I am a school teacher and one of my top five projects for this summer it to load up ALL my music!! I can't wait to get started, and I am grateful to the folks who put Max together. And now I've found Play as well. Everything's going my way. :D