Album artwork / Genre not appearing with ripped files

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
sprintal

Album artwork / Genre not appearing with ripped files

Post by sprintal »

I'm running OS 10.4.11 and downloaded the latest version of Max 0.8.1 and I've been ripping some of my CD collection to FLAC in the highest possible quality (Full Paranoia). First I noticed the Album Genre doesn't appear from MusicBrainz - which I understand isn't on their database, so I manually select this but it doesn't seem to appear in the Metadata (My Nokia N810 player finds it under "Unknown Genres" from Twonky Media on the hard drive. How do I force the Genre to the Metadata ? I would have thought Max would have written this to the output files once I manually input it. Is it something to do with my Twonky Media setup ?

Second Problem: I add album artwork from Amazon.com and it appears in the artwork pop out window for the CD OK, but doesn't seem to write to the output folder. I've noticed all the folders previously ripped using EAC or Ripserver Lite, have the album artwork in the same folder as the track files in both .jpg and .png format. These all work on my Nokia which displays the artwork OK. I've tried dragging and dropping the artwork as .jpg's or .png's into the track folders for CD's ripped with Max but they still don't appear on the N810.

Can anyone help me before I RIp my entire CD collection then have to go back and edit them all !

Aside from the above Max seems to be a brilliant bit of software and has saved me going down the PC route (Yuk!) Thanks. Alan.

Mike1

Re: Album artwork / Genre not appearing with ripped files

Post by Mike1 »

sprintal wrote:... the Album Genre doesn't appear from MusicBrainz - which I understand isn't on their database, so I manually select this but it doesn't seem to appear in the Metadata (My Nokia N810 player finds it under "Unknown Genres" ...
By default Max writes a numerical value for the genre. However, iTunes can't read these. I wonder if it would be the same for the Nokia device. Have you got the "Use iTunes compatibility mode" box checked in Preferences > iTunes?

After changing any values in the information window, I usually save the changes I've made. I don't think it should make any difference, but on occasion changes I've made haven't seem to stick, so I like to explicitly save the changes.
... I add album artwork from Amazon.com and it appears in the artwork pop out window for the CD OK, but doesn't seem to write to the output folder.
Max puts the artwork in the files. But it will also save a copy of the artwork with them:

Preferences > Album Art

Check the box next to "Save album art with output files". You can also specify a name there (the default is "cover") and a file format (the default is JPEG).
I've tried dragging and dropping the artwork as .jpg's or .png's into the track folders for CD's ripped with Max but they still don't appear on the N810.
I'd really be guessing here. If it's not something to do with the files -- maybe the software you saved/processed them with may have written to the metadata in some way the Nokia didn't like -- then perhaps it would be the filesize, the dimensions, or the filename.

Might the Nokia require a particular size (say 200 x 200 pixels)? Or might it only work if the image file accompanying the pictures is called cover.jpg or folder.jpg or artwork.png or something?

Anyway, how if you make the changes suggested in the "Album Art" preferences and let Max write the image file to the folder? Can the Nokia see the images then?