ID3 v2?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
pawlyshyn

ID3 v2?

Post by pawlyshyn » Mon May 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi. I'm having various little problems with Max, including how to get tags in ID3 v2. It seems to only generate v1. My Sansa MP3 player doesn't recognize v1 tags, so I have to manually recode every file. Am I overlooking something?
Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: ID3 v2?

Post by sbooth » Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Max uses TagLib to generate ID3v2.4 tags. Here is an example MP3 I just encoded with Max 0.8.1:

Code: Select all

******************** "/tmp/Johnny Cash/At Folsom Prison/02 Busted.mp3"********************
ID3v2.4.0, 1232 bytes in tag
TALB - "At Folsom Prison"
TPE1 - "Johnny Cash"
TDRC - "1999"
TIT2 - "Busted"
TRCK - "2/19"
TLEN - "123805952"
TENC - "LAME 3.97 (Max 0.8.1)"
TDEN - "2008-05-05T14:05:36"
TDTG - "2008-05-05T14:05:36"

ID3v1
title   - "Busted"
artist  - "Johnny Cash"
album   - "At Folsom Prison"
year    - "1999"
comment - ""
track   - "2"
genre   - ""

APE
file does not have a valid APE tag
Why do you feel your files are not getting ID3v2 tags?

pawlyshyn

Post by pawlyshyn » Mon May 05, 2008 7:23 pm

sbooth wrote:Max uses TagLib to generate ID3v2.4 tags. Here is an example MP3 I just encoded with Max 0.8.1:

<snip>

Why do you feel your files are not getting ID3v2 tags?
When I convert files -- typically FLAC to MP3 -- I fill in all the info in the Metadata window. When the conversion is complete, I check it all out in ID3 Editor. There are only ID3 v1 tags -- the v2 fields are blank. If I drag the files to my MP3 player, they always end up in the Unknown folder. Also, song titles don't make it through the conversion process; the converted files always have generic titles, and are often in the wrong order.
So how do I activate TagLib?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 05, 2008 7:42 pm

pawlyshyn wrote:When I convert files -- typically FLAC to MP3 -- I fill in all the info in the Metadata window. When the conversion is complete, I check it all out in ID3 Editor. There are only ID3 v1 tags -- the v2 fields are blank. If I drag the files to my MP3 player, they always end up in the Unknown folder. Also, song titles don't make it through the conversion process; the converted files always have generic titles, and are often in the wrong order.
So how do I activate TagLib?
Looking at the ID3 Editor web site, the product does not support ID3v2.4 tags. If you open one of the MP3s in question with iTunes (or Play) do the tags show up?

You do not have to do anything to activate TagLib, if your MP3 files are being tagged with anything at all it is working as it should.

pawlyshyn

Post by pawlyshyn » Mon May 05, 2008 9:36 pm

sbooth wrote: Looking at the ID3 Editor web site, the product does not support ID3v2.4 tags. If you open one of the MP3s in question with iTunes (or Play) do the tags show up?

You do not have to do anything to activate TagLib, if your MP3 files are being tagged with anything at all it is working as it should.
You're right, they do show up in iTunes. But it doesn't matter, because I can't use iTunes with my Sansa MP3 player. So it seems the tags are there, but my player and tag editing program just don't recognize them. What to do?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 06, 2008 4:04 am

You can use iTunes to convert the ID3 tags to ID3v2.3, or to whatever version your player supports. Go to the Advanced menu, then Convert ID3 Tags...

pawlyshyn

Post by pawlyshyn » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 pm

sbooth wrote:You can use iTunes to convert the ID3 tags to ID3v2.3, or to whatever version your player supports. Go to the Advanced menu, then Convert ID3 Tags...
Okay, I'll try that. Kinda clunky, though. It means I have to convert the FLAC files to MP3s in Max, then duplicate those files in iTunes. That's three copies of everything. Also, I still don't understand why Max would support ID3 v1, but not v2.3.
Another question: I can't figure out a way of specifying a folder for the converted files to go into for each job, other than the default folder (Converted Files) that you set in Preferences.
Thanks for all your help!
Roman

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 pm

pawlyshyn wrote:Okay, I'll try that. Kinda clunky, though. It means I have to convert the FLAC files to MP3s in Max, then duplicate those files in iTunes. That's three copies of everything. Also, I still don't understand why Max would support ID3 v1, but not v2.3.
Max doesn't support ID3v2.3 because v2.4 has been the informal standard since 1 November 2000. ID3v1 tags are written because they can coexist in the same file with ID3v2 tags. It is impossible to have v2.3 and v2.4 tags in the same file.

Regarding iTunes- you don't have to copy the files to your library. There is a preference for this in Advanced called "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder ..."
Another question: I can't figure out a way of specifying a folder for the converted files to go into for each job, other than the default folder (Converted Files) that you set in Preferences.
Can you clarify what you mean by each job? The only way right now to specify the output folder is in the preferences.

pawlyshyn

Post by pawlyshyn » Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm

sbooth wrote:Regarding iTunes- you don't have to copy the files to your library. There is a preference for this in Advanced called "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder ..."
I transfer folders of albums to my MP3 player using drag and drop. So to get those v2.3 tags, I would still need to copy them to the iTunes library, convert the tags, then move this new folder to my player, right?
If v2.4 has been the standard for almost 8 years, why can't my Sansa or ID Editor deal with it? That's weird.

As for the folders for the converted files, let's say I've converted an album with Max. The files go into the Converted Files folder. I then have to manually create a new folder for those tracks and drag them into it before I do another conversion. If not, the files end up all mixed together, and it's a real pain separating them.

Thanks again,
Roman