Would failure to delete preference file damage quality?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Rebel

Would failure to delete preference file damage quality?

Post by Rebel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:01 pm

I recently updated to 0.8 without deleting the old preference file, causing Mac to crash. Then I deleted the pref file and converted about a dozen CD's worth of FLAC files to AAC.
So far I've got about half of them into iTunes, and I just noticed that the comment field in most (but not all) of the Cd's is messed up, containing text like:Track 11 Core Audio 'aac ' codec settings: bitrate=320 quality=127
ALL of the tracks converted with 0.8 are tagged as Core Audio files. That's easy to fix, but aggravating. :evil:

I just want to know if the sound quality would have been degraded in any way by using 0.8 with the old pref file.
It obviously caused tagging issues, but would it also cause sound issues? I haven't had time to perform a bunch of listening tests, but I'd like to know in case I need to re-convert all those files.

Something else I've been wondering about:
When I was converting to mp3, I always used 320 bitrate. I know in AAC I should be able to use a lower bitrate setting to achieve the same quality, but why should I? I'm not shooting for small files, I'm aiming for better quality, so is there any reason NOT to convert my AAC's at 320? Well, I am aiming for smaller files than Apple Lossless would render. I wish Apple would get a clue and start supporting FLAC in iTunes!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Would failure to delete preference file damage quality?

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Not deleting the preferences will have no impact on file quality.

What is the tagging issue? It appears that you have selected the 'save encoder settings in comment' option- and since you used the Core Audio AAC encoder the comment reflects that.

As far as what bitrate to use, the best option is to encode the same file at several different bitrates and listen to see if you can tell a difference.

Rebel

Re: Would failure to delete preference file damage quality?

Post by Rebel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:42 pm

The comment tag wasn't displaying what I'm used to seeing. Usually it says something about being encoded with FLAC frontend... Now it says something completely different, about Core Audio settings.

Before posting my thread, I had read in this thread
http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... core#p5112 about someone having a problem with Core Audio files, so I thought that since my files were now apparently using this format there was a problem. I have never
seen Core Audio listed in any of my files before.
If this is normal, great, I'll just uncheck the Save Encoder Settings In Comment box.

BTW, I see in the Release Notes the developer has fixed Max so the "Save encoder settings in comment" preference now sticks. However, now the comment box for mp3 says Core Audio 'aac ' codec settings: bitrate=320 quality=127, and the comment box for AAC is still blank (although the box does stay checked now). This is after converting from FLAC ripped by Max 0.8.