Max-0.9.2b2 repeatedly quits unexpectedly on one of my discs

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
dmp1991

Max-0.9.2b2 repeatedly quits unexpectedly on one of my discs

Post by dmp1991 »

I have a 100% reproducible (happens 5 times out of 5 I tried) fatal error using Max-0.9.2b2 to rip one of my discs. I think I've successfully done 50-ish other discs with the same settings without any issue, so this seems to be particular to the one disc. I can rip this same disc in the same player in other apps without issue on the first try, so this appears to be an issue with Max.

I'm ripping to 3 simultaneous formats: FLAC, AAC, and MP3. All 3 of these output files get created but none of them have any content -- they are 0 bytes after Max crashes. Watching Max's progress dialog, it looks like it successfully reads the disc contents into a buffer and then crashes during encoding of that buffer to the first file format? In my case, the file formats in order are: 'AAC ADTS (MPEG-4 HE AAC V2)', 'FLAC', and then 'MP3'.

I'm not sure what to do to look for work-arounds. But if there's anything I can do to help debug this let me know. I am a software developer by profession.
dmp1991

Re: Max-0.9.2b2 repeatedly quits unexpectedly on one of my discs

Post by dmp1991 »

I tried keeping everything else the same but downgrading my AAC encoder setting to 'AAC ADTS (MPEG-4 HE AAC)'. This now prevents a unexpected quit and displays an error dialog pop-up entitled "An error occurred while encoding the file "Front Line Assembly-Re-Wind (Disc 1)-01-Predator (Cease & Destroy Mix).aac"." with a content line of "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed."

So clearly the immediate fatal error previously was tied to V2 codec usage somehow.