error tagging

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
cinchel

error tagging

Post by cinchel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 am

I get "The variable audio_item is not defined" on only one track from an album of tracks. the files are FLAC and I am using Max to convert them into ALAC files and import into iTunes. I tried opening the track in Tag but I dont see any errors or feilds I can fix/change. I have tried converting with and without iTunes compatibility mode in Max and nothing seems to help. Is there anything else I should or could try.

macproguy

Re: error tagging

Post by macproguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 am

Me too... Happens with Max 0.8b and 0.71, but does not appear to be a permissions issue (chmod doesn't help, although I did note that the broken m4a file produced my Max had 644 permissions, while the others were all 600), and is not fixed by commenting out portions of, or adding delays into various places within the applescript which adds the songs to itunes (seen in another tip on this forum). Something gets messed up in the file itself, since I also can't manually import the resulting m4a file from within itunes. Play.app won't play it either. I can even start with different FLAC files - the same song, ripped with EAC/windoze (a long time ago), xACT, or Max... they all fail to import, with the same error message. iTunes import also fails if I use Max to convert this song either FLAC->ALAC or WAV->ALAC.

The way I finally got the song into itunes was to re-rip the whole CD to WAV first (s'pose I could've just as well gone FLAC->WAV instead, but I was already experimenting). Then separately converted WAV->ALAC using Max. That got most of the songs into itunes with correct tags. For the one song that wouldn't import, I went into itunes and manually imported the original wav file, used itunes to convert it to ALAC, then copied the missing tags from the other songs. I've only encountered this problem on one song out of about 2.1k that I've transcoded FLAC->ALAC / imported into itunes so far.

The album is Buddy Rich, "The New One!", track 12 "Away We Go (Alternative Version)"

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: error tagging

Post by sbooth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 am

cinchel wrote:I get "The variable audio_item is not defined" on only one track from an album of tracks. the files are FLAC and I am using Max to convert them into ALAC files and import into iTunes. I tried opening the track in Tag but I dont see any errors or feilds I can fix/change. I have tried converting with and without iTunes compatibility mode in Max and nothing seems to help. Is there anything else I should or could try.
Do you still have the same problem if you turn off the automatic iTunes importing?