Page 1 of 1

FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:39 pm
by maxlover
Since november, Max is able to open a multitrack file using a cue sheet. When opening the file, a disk information window appears, which is exactly what one would expect. Unfortunately, what happens next is not yet as useful as it could be.

If Max was used to produce the file and cue on the same machine, a .cdinfo file containing all the metadata is sitting in the Library. This file is reused if the actual disk is reinserted, but NOT if the file+cue representation of the same disk is opened, even if the cue contains no metadata at all, as it is the case with the cue embedded in a FLAC file.

Nevertheless, one is able to query MusicBrainz to get the information again, to correct it, and to use it when reencoding to individual tracks. But then, when closing the information window, one gets a warning and is invited to save the data. But saving always fails...

Is there any reason why the information window about a file+cue must behave differently than the information window for a physical disk ? Oh yes, there is one difference that makes sense: for a file, there is not need for the 'Eject' button, of course. But for the rest, the window and its behaviour could imo be exactly the same.

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:49 pm
by sbooth
You're right- this makes perfect sense. I will add support for this!

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:06 pm
by maxlover
sbooth wrote:You're right- this makes perfect sense. I will add support for this!
Thank you for taking care of this. It will really make my life better (as far as music is concerned, anyway :) ).

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:01 pm
by maxlover
Anything new on this subject ? I still have almost 1000 CDs, ripped in FLAC [single file with cue], whose carefully edited metadata is contained in an equal number of .cdinfo files only, and cannot currently be used in any useful way...

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:28 am
by sbooth
I've added this functionality for this in r1342. I'm interested in all feedback!

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:05 pm
by maxlover
Really nice : I can keep my 'originals' as FLAC files with cue, and in a very short time produce individual files in any format, with all the metadata from the cdinfo 'repository'. Cheers..

Nevertheless (you said 'all feedback') :
- it does not always work. I tried to open 40 recently encoded FLAC files. The metadata was read from the cdinfo only 32 times. When the physical CD is inserted, then the metadata is indeed filled for the others too.
- the title of the window is always 'Pistes multiples', while the title of the window that opens with the CD insertion is the actual disc title.
- the window immediatly shows that the file is modified, not so when the disc is inserted.
- it is still impossible to save the metadata if new corrections have been made.

Anyway, thank you for working on this feature.

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:39 pm
by maxlover
Hi,

I am still trying to find an explanation to the failure to open the cdinfo file for some FLAC 'disk images', but I have a hard time... For a given disk:

- if I insert the actual CD, the cdinfo file is found and opened, which means that the file is present and correctly named.
- if I open the FLAC file, the cdinfo file is NOT opened.
- but if I then use the MusicBrainz button, the information is obtained from the internet, which means that correct DiskID is computed.

Puzzled...

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:22 pm
by sbooth
Are there any messages printed to the console log?

Re: FLAC+cue reading in Max: not yet fully polished

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:56 am
by maxlover
sbooth wrote:Are there any messages printed to the console log?
Thank you four your reply. After starting Max, and then opening the problematic FLAC file, there is only:

Code: Select all

2008-03-16 08:46:23.378 Max[983] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<FileArrayController: 0x11a77c0>[object class: NSMutableDictionary, number of selected objects: 0]).  Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:
2008-03-16 08:46:37.088 Max[983] CFLog (0): 
	CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
	/Applications/Max-r1342.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CueSheetDocument.nib/keyedobjects.nib
	The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
Starting Max, and then opening a non-problematic FLAC files gives:

Code: Select all

2008-03-16 08:53:05.258 Max[988] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<FileArrayController: 0x11a8e80>[object class: NSMutableDictionary, number of selected objects: 0]).  Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:
2008-03-16 08:53:22.910 Max[988] CFLog (0): 
	CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
	/Applications/Max-r1342.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CueSheetDocument.nib/keyedobjects.nib
	The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
Best regards.