Track 10 doesn't exist error with external drive

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Track 10 doesn't exist error with external drive

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:15 am

kcramer, if updating the firmware doesn't fix the problem I have another option to try. Let me know if you want to give it a shot!

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks for all the help on this issue.

I did update the firmware but that did not help. I have a Plextor Premium and I updated to the latest 1.07 firmware. I'm guessing my CD drive is old enough that the firmware fixes aren't addressing this issue. It's old but I was using it as it was one of the orginal, high-quality Plextor drives.

I would be happy to try another option. I'd love to get this CD drive working with Max.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:51 am

Do you have the source code, or are you willing to build from source? If so, I have a one-line change that might fix the problem.

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:39 am

I didn't download the source code but I could do that.

Is this a change to the beta or the stable version? I've been using the beta r1328 lately figuring it had the latest fixes.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 am

This is a change to the latest svn commit, currently r1332. In the readTOC method in the file Drive.m, change the code block starting around line 467 to read:

Code: Select all

cd_read_toc.format			= kCDTOCFormatTOC;
	cd_read_toc.formatAsTime	= 1;
	cd_read_toc.buffer			= buffer;
	cd_read_toc.bufferLength	= sizeof(buffer);
The addition of the line "cd_read_toc.formatAsTime = 1;" should hopefully fix things. Please let me know the results!

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 pm

I used svn to pull down that revision after you posted the message. I'm having some issues building. I'm getting errors on the Frameworks and then trying to build the Xcode project gives me severel errors about Growl. This is on an Intel Mac Pro with OS X 10.5 and Xcode 3.0.

I thought perhaps it needed 10.4 and an older Xcode, so I tried it on my wife's PowerMac which has 10.4 and Xcode 2.5 but it appears it requires 10.5/Xcode 3.0 now.

Give me a little time and I'll get this working. I just haven't had enough time to figure out the issue.

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm seeing that taglib, vorbis, flac frameworks failed. I've included some of the errors below. It looks like I'm missing files for the most part but I'm not sure why.

/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/taglib/taglib/taglib/mpeg/i
d3v2/id3v2frame.cpp:26:20: error: config.h: No such file or directory
/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/taglib/taglib/taglib/mpeg/i
d3v2/id3v2framefactory.cpp:26:20: error: config.h: No such file or directory

/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/vorbis/libvorbis/lib/modes/
setup_44.h:18:29: error: modes/floor_all.h: No such file or directory
/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/vorbis/libvorbis/lib/modes/
setup_44.h:19:30: error: modes/residue_44.h: No such file or directory
setup_44.h:20:28: error: modes/psych_44.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/vorbi
s/libvorbis/lib/vorbisenc.c:154:
setup_44.h:72: error: ‘_psy_tone_masteratt_44’ undeclared here (not in a functio
n)
setup_44.h:73: error: ‘_psy_tone_0dB’ undeclared here (not in a function)
setup_44.h:74: error: ‘_psy_tone_suppress’ undeclared here (not in a function)
setup_44.h:76: error: ‘_vp_tonemask_adj_otherblock’ undeclared here (not in a fu
nction)
setup_44.h:77: error: ‘_vp_tonemask_adj_longblock’ undeclared here (not in a fun
ction)
setup_44.h:80: error: ‘_psy_noiseguards_44’ undeclared here (not in a function)

/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/flac/flac/src/libFLAC/bitma
th.c:36:29: error: private/bitmath.h: No such file or directory
/Users/kevin/Documents/Xcode Projects/Max/Frameworks/flac/flac/src/libFLAC/bitma
th.c:61: error: syntax error before ‘v’
th.c: In function ‘FLAC__bitmath_ilog2’:
th.c:65: error: ‘v’ undeclared (first use in this function)
th.c:65: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
th.c:65: error: for each function it appears in.)
th.c: At top level:
th.c:70: error: syntax error before ‘v’
th.c: In function ‘FLAC__bitmath_ilog2_wide’:
th.c:74: error: ‘v’ undeclared (first use in this function)
th.c: At top level:

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Actually, it looks like it isn't setting the includes correctly. The file private/bitmath.h exists but it isn't finding it. Have to run back to work but I'll try to get it working later.

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Sorry, I was busy the last couple weeks.

After a closer look, I realized that it did not like the directory name "Xcode Projects" due to the space in it. It messed up the include path. I remember thinking it was odd that the directory had a space in it but it was created for me so I just went with it. Apparently it didn't affect the projects I played around with previously.

I was able to build and test and this fix does indeed allow it to work. So far I can pull up the CD tracks and query for the information. I'm going to try ripping audio next but it seems to work.

What is the long term solution for the issue? Can it be handled by the application or does it need to be some setting you toggle for these problematic CD drives?

Thanks for all the help!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:25 pm

That flag triggers a workaround in Apple's driver stack for these problematic drives. Unfortunately, I think there is no long-term solution since these drives are not compliant with the spec. But at least it is working now!

kcramer

Post by kcramer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

That setting worked well for both the external Plextor and the internal drive on the Mac. I was able to rip audio using it and the results sounded good.

So I should just change that code for each release? I guess I was wondering if it's possible to have an advanced setting for people with older drives to enable the "formatAsTime" option.

dbreitkreuz

Post by dbreitkreuz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:52 pm

Hello,

i got the same problem on my mac.
It's a MacPro (8 core) with build-in Optiarc DVD Superdrive. This drive works fine!
But... on the second bay i installed an Plextor Premium 2 CD-Writer. If i start
Max to read CDs in the Plextor drive it will crash with "Track 10 doesn't....".

Is there a chance in the nearer future to get this error fixed?...

Thanks for support und sorry for my bad english!

cu