Can I convert while seeding?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
StellaB

Can I convert while seeding?

Post by StellaB » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi, quick question:

I downloaded some .flac files and I'm now seeding the files, and would like to continue to do this (keep seeding for a while). I'd also like to convert the files to mp3 so I can listen to them on my iPod. I've done the conversion thing before, so that's not the issue. What I want to know is, if I convert them while seeding, will the files be 'corrupted' (changed in any way)?

btw: I put them through Tag first if that's relevant

thanks in advance

RonaldPR

Re: Can I convert while seeding?

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Maybe it is my ignorance, but what do you mean with "seeding" the files?

StellaB

Post by StellaB » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:41 pm

BitTorrent

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:06 pm

I have no idea and have never seen it brought up. I just pause the seed long enough to have my way with the files needed.

StellaB

Post by StellaB » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:13 am

well, I guess I'll just try it & find out the hard way.
Actually, let me simplify the question to this:

If I convert flac files to mp3 thru max, are the original flac files in any way changed?
Or do I have 2 copies of the file in 2 different formats on my computer now?

NoName

Post by NoName » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Sure, you can run conversions with Max while seeding your FLAC files. You may run into problems if two programs are accessing any single file at the same time, but the chances of that are slim if you're dealing with lots of files.

If you have some time on your hands and not so many files to deal with, then by all means run your FLAC --> MP3 conversions first, and then take care of spreading the wealth to the community.

Your original FLACs won't be altered in any way by Max unless, of course, you specify in your preferences that you want to delete them upon conversion to another output format. I believe earlier on you mentioned that you processed these FLACs with Tag; in that case, the files will be altered, but only as far as the metadata (the audio will remain intact).

If you have any more worries about this, you can always checksum your files before and after running conversions with Max.

StellaB

Post by StellaB » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:23 pm

gotcha, thanks