iTunes Finder xACT ... why not Max?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Fuga

iTunes Finder xACT ... why not Max?

Post by Fuga »

As I understand it iTunes does use Gracenote.

I know I am happy with its data when compared to what I get from MusicBrainz or Freedb. I know that if iTunes first looks at a CD in Gracenote that information is then in Finder. I know that when you then rip with xACT that information is available to it and is thus used by xACT.

Why can't Max do similar?

jhart71

Re: iTunes Finder xACT ... why not Max?

Post by jhart71 »

I don't really care for MusicBrainz's way of labeling song titles and how much information is missing.

I really want to use Max, but I don't know if it's worth it to have to enter all that metadata myself. I really wish Max just used Gracenote. :?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth »

Fuga wrote:As I understand it iTunes does use Gracenote.

I know I am happy with its data when compared to what I get from MusicBrainz or Freedb. I know that if iTunes first looks at a CD in Gracenote that information is then in Finder. I know that when you then rip with xACT that information is available to it and is thus used by xACT.

Why can't Max do similar?
I saw some code a long time ago to grab some info from the cidb file. I will take a look at xACT and see how it does things.

Fuga

Post by Fuga »

sbooth wrote:I saw some code a long time ago to grab some info from the cidb file. I will take a look at xACT and see how it does things.
Good to hear. Scott's a very approachable guy.

scott brown

Post by scott brown »

I'm not doing anything special in xACT. If I remember correctly (I haven't looked at that code in forever), I'm just reading in the file names from the Finder, then matching up the names to the track numbers on the disc

So If you extract tracks 1-5 from a cd, it'll do the extraction, then pull the file names from the Finder for what it knows as the first 5 tracks on the disc.

As far as xACT extraction goes, I never really thought people would use it. It was kind of just a quick and dirty "can I make it work?" woops :)

(and I've been meaning to move xACT away from Applescript and into a "real" language, but after writing code all day at work, the motivation isn't always there...And hey, it works, so I guess that's all that matters)