Question About Online Databases

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
jhart71

Question About Online Databases

Post by jhart71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:34 pm

Is there a way to get Max to use Gracenote? If so, can someone please post the URL.

Or, if you are using one that you'd recommend, please let me know what it is. Right now I'm just getting album and track name (no year, composers, or genres).

Thanks!

RonaldPR

Re: Question About Online Databases

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Max does not use Gracenote. Max is freeware and Gracenote is a commercial database. Max uses MusicBrainz. Earlier versions of Max used Freedb. A future version will probably offer a choice between MusicBrainz and Freedb.

jhart71

Post by jhart71 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 am

I can't seem to get MusicBrainz to work. All it enters is the album name and track names . . . not year or genre, etc.

I registered for a MusicBrainz account, and entered that info into my preferences, but it didn't do anything.

Any suggestions? There has to be one critical step I'm missing . . .

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 am

jhart71 wrote:I can't seem to get MusicBrainz to work. All it enters is the album name and track names . . . not year or genre, etc.
MusicBrainz does not contain genre information, at least not currently. See http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/GeneralFAQ# ... 07c2b172fb.

The year data is something that will be in for the next release, but right now it is unimplemented.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 am

RonaldPR wrote:A future version will probably offer a choice between MusicBrainz and Freedb.
PLEASE! Please, plese.

jhart71

Post by jhart71 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:45 am

sbooth wrote:
jhart71 wrote:I can't seem to get MusicBrainz to work. All it enters is the album name and track names . . . not year or genre, etc.
MusicBrainz does not contain genre information, at least not currently. See http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/GeneralFAQ# ... 07c2b172fb.

The year data is something that will be in for the next release, but right now it is unimplemented.
So no year, no genres (not a big deal) . . . but also no composer data? Seriously all I am getting is artist, album, and track names. Those 3 items. I can't believe people are typing all that in themselves post-rip.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Fuga wrote:
RonaldPR wrote:A future version will probably offer a choice between MusicBrainz and Freedb.
PLEASE! Please, plese.
Please note that Musicbrainz already acts as a gateway to FreeDB. At least, Max sometimes give me data from FreeDB, and the FreeDB support is gone from Max, so...
jhart71 wrote:So no year, no genres (not a big deal) . . . but also no composer data?
Genre is subjective. Year sometimes differs depending on the location of the release. Composer... Guess not enough Max users listen to classical music ;) At least it's fairly easy to type "Johann Sebastian Bach" or whatever compared to entering all the track names seperately. :mrgreen:
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:28 pm

In a way earlier thread some kind soul posted a script to piggy back iTunes' access to Gracenote. It works great but is damn Klunky. You must have iTunes open. You don't have to add to it, just have it open so Finder can load what Gracenote tells iTunes about the CD you just popped in. Once the CD loads you run the script and Max has Gracenote tags.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Went back and found the thread with the script. There are two. Look to the second one. Copy the text. Open a new ScriptEditor doc. Paste in the text. Save it as an Application if on PowerPC or Application Bundle if on ICBM. Name it whatever. Put a nice icon on it.