aac in iTunes

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
snoopy67

aac in iTunes

Post by snoopy67 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:20 pm

The iTunes help says that it can't / won't play AAC files that were *not* produced by iTunes or purchased in the iTunes store.
This matches my experience with AAC files i produced with Max.

Is there any way to produce AAC files with Max that will play in iTunes?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Gabriel.

PS:
I did try to search this forum but the search engine kept ignoring the keyword 'AAC' and 'iTunes' (and some others) ...

NoName

Re: aac in iTunes

Post by NoName » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Despite what you've read in iTunes' Help, iTunes will indeed play AAC files encoded with other programs. In fact, nearly all of the AAC files I have ever played in iTunes have been encoded with Nero on a Windows machine, and they not only play back perfectly, but iTunes doesn't even need to scan them for gapless playback information in order for them to play back gaplessly.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about how you're setting up Max's output options for your AAC files? You shouldn't have any problem playing properly encoded AACs output from Max in iTunes.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:52 pm

If you use Max to encode to AAC, do not use "AAC ADTS" format, but use the top one of the two "MPEG4 Audio" formats and then choose AAC with "m4a" extension or use the bottom "MPEG4 Audio" for AAC with "mp4" extension.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:16 pm

snoopy67 wrote:The iTunes help says that it can't / won't play AAC files that were *not* produced by iTunes or purchased in the iTunes store.
It doesn't say that. It only says:
AAC-encoded songs that were not created with iTunes or downloaded from the iTunes Store, may not play in iTunes. Use iTunes 4 or later to encode the song from an audio CD.
It's of course possible that some files may not work, and Apple can hardly guarantee that anyone else's implementation of AAC, even if broken, will result in files that will play, since in practice they may not.

FWIW, I've played files that I've encoded in Nero, FAAD, and Max in iTunes.

Your problem is probably what Ronald surmises: iTunes won't be able to play an AAC file that is not in an MP4 container.

snoopy67

Post by snoopy67 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot! That was indeed the problem. Problem solved now.
Regards,
gabriel.