Can Max help me with an unusual problem?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
psiclist

Can Max help me with an unusual problem?

Post by psiclist » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello: I have not found this issue anywhere in FAQ or anywhere else. I am very hard of hearing. When I use iTunes to burn cd's of music purchased from Apple, the volume is so low (with the player volume at max) that I cannot hear it adequately. I need to be able to burn cd's with songs that are altered via an equalizer ( you can do it with itunes but not enough variation) and burn them much louder. I think maybe the problem is that iTunes seems to burn the cd's at the volume of the lowest volume song instead of making them all as loud as the highest volume song. Anyway, can using Max help me (perhaps in concert with another app) make LOUD equalized cd's of songs both from my commercial cd's and purchased Apple songs? Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Can Max help me with an unusual problem?

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:36 am

Max can help you do this, but it will not be an all-in-one solution for your needs. Applying effects during conversion is on the todo list, but is a ways down the road.

Here is one way you could go about this, using the command-line (and very powerful) program SoX:
  • Grab SoX and compile it on your system
  • Convert whatever files you want to burn to the CD to WAV files (using Max or iTunes)
  • Run the new WAVs through SoX, adjusting the volume as necessary using the -v command line option
  • Burn them to an audio CD using Burn
I'm happy to provide more information on any one of these steps if you'd like.