WMA to MP3 Conversion?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
southernwayfarer

WMA to MP3 Conversion?

Post by southernwayfarer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Is it possible to convert WMA to MP3 to files? Can MAX do this? If not is there any OSX program that can? Thanks for the help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: WMA to MP3 Conversion?

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:25 am

Max doesn't handle WMA files at the moment. The only open-source WMA decoder I know of is part of ffmpeg, which I haven't even looked at porting to OS X and integrating into Max.

Please file a feature request if this is something you would like to see in Max!

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:24 am

"EasyWMA" (shareware $10) converts wma to mp3 (and more)
Input formats: asf, ogg vorbis, wav, wma, wmv
Output formats: aiff, m4a, mp3, wav
http://www.easywma.com/

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 pm

EasyWMA also uses FFmpeg to do the decoding. I've grabbed the FFmpeg sources and I am taking a look at how difficult it would be to integrate their WMA decoder with Max.

southernwayfarer

Post by southernwayfarer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 pm

I purchased EasyWMA last night and tried to convert my files. Unfortunately, I'm having major problems. I got wma files of a boxed set of 15 CDs (I don't know there history but its a pretty rare set so I can't imagine it was cobled together from independnt tracks). For any give one of the CDs, EasyWMA will only convert about 4-7 of the tracks. I get errors on the remaining tracks. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the tracks? I'll ask at the EasyWMA site but if anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

A related question is how I should convert these to avoid further degradation of the sound. Since WMA is already a lossy format, I was thinking that the best thing to do would be to use a lossless conversion. Is that accurate?

southernwayfarer

Post by southernwayfarer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:29 pm

OK, scratch that last post. Its not working on ANY of the files. The few that get converted are just 4kb files that are empty. EasyWMA says that the 4kb files are the result of DRM protected files. What to do now...