Transitioning from iTunes to Decibel

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
rjalex

Transitioning from iTunes to Decibel

Post by rjalex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

Dear friends,
after a dark period I finally could buy a little external DAC and headphone amp to drive my old but trusted HD600 Sennheiser headphones and so now am back to looking for a good quality musical "chain".

Until now I kept 3000 files approx music collection files ordered in iTunes and have put a lot of effort into rating my likes there.

Now I would like to transition to Decibel since I also have an 20% approx. of files which are FLACs and that is the format I rip my CDs to.

The problem is that I really need TWO things I have built into itunes:

a) the RATING
b) the playlists (possibly even the dynamic ones

Is there a way to get those things into Decibel ?

Thank you very much.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Transitioning from iTunes to Decibel

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:48 am

The next major revision of Decibel will support individual playlists, but if you have made these playlists into iTunes you should be able to load the tracks into Decibel using the iTunes browser.

Decibel already can read the rating tag but doesn't do much with it, but I will add a rating column in the next version.

rjalex

Post by rjalex » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Ok now I get it ! :-) So you would use iTunes as the "library manager" and then drag and drop onto Decibel to reproduce.
This would be egg-xactly what would drive me to buy Decibel EXCEPT for the inability for iTunes to catalog my FLAC files :-(

Any solutions to this "deadlock" ? One would be that Decibel could also act as a "library manager" and possibly import an iTunes library including the damn rating field !

Take care

kemoly

Post by kemoly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:48 pm

You can convert them from FLAC to ALAC (Apple lossless) to get them into iTunes with no quality loss. You can use Steve's own Max software for that, or XLD.

http://sbooth.org/Max/
http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if Fluke could be enlisted here. It doesn't meet my needs because all it's really doing is converting, needlessly taking space and processing and thus unable to play gaplessly (though is better on higher powered machines). But it doesn't do that until the file is actually played in iTunes. ... Just tested some.
  • Download and install Fluke.
  • Set iTunes to run as 32 bit (otherwise Fluke crashes). Open iTunes.
  • Choose your FLACs and open with Fluke. Tracks are loaded into iTunes Library.
  • Open Decibel. As I think is noted in another thread, Decibel reads the iTunes library when it opens so anything added to the iTunes library after Decibel is opened does not get noticed.
  • Play with Decibel works. Gapless works.
Best I can tell Decibel simply notes the location of the iTunes files (i.e. the FLACs!) and plays.

Caveat: Fluke can not handle files on networked discs - must be local. :evil: