Maximum sample rate?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
feckn_eejit

Maximum sample rate?

Post by feckn_eejit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 am

Hi there,

I've been running Decibel on a Hackintosh which has an onboard coaxial S/PDIF output which supports up to 96KHz. This feeds an external DAC with the same maximum specs. Presently, I am experiencing the desired behaviour -- For material up to and including 96KHz, Decibel sets the correct sampling rate and no SRC is performed. For material above 96KHz, it is downsampled appropriately -- 192KHz is downsampled to 96KHz, and 176.4KHz is downsampled to 88.2KHz.

So far so good. I am *extremely* pleased with how things work and the resulting sound is fantastic.

Due to an incompatibility that's been identified between the onboard coax output and the DAC (I don't want to get into the details, nor is it pertinent to my question...), I need to stop using the onboard coax output and start using a USB-->S/PDIF interface or PCie card.

Most modern USB-->S/PDIF interfaces or PCIe audio cards support sampling rates up to 192KHz. My DAC does not support this. I anticipate that Decibel will "see" the capabilities of the new audio interface, and will stop downsampling >96KHz material.

If so, is there a way to tell Decibel "max out" at 96KHz i.e. continue to provide non-SRC bit-perfect output up to and including 96KHz, but continue to appropriately downsample higher-rate material?

Thanks very much!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Maximum sample rate?

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am

Right now the automatic sample rate changes are all or nothing; Decibel either tries to switch the sample rate appropriately for every file or it completely leaves the sample rate alone. So there is not currently a way to do what you're requesting, sorry.

feckn_eejit

Re: Maximum sample rate?

Post by feckn_eejit » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for your reply, Stephen. Kind of figured... unless there is some indication that you might add such a capability in the relatively near future, I'll work on an alternative solution.

Bests,
--Jeff