Lengthy playlist load time

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
wonkypaw

Lengthy playlist load time

Post by wonkypaw » Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 am

I have the option set for remember playlist between launches (and have a rather large playlist), but it takes nearly 8 minutes to load. The files are on an external USB hard drive. Any reason for this lengthy delay?

CG

Re: Lengthy playlist load time

Post by CG » Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Ahh, because the files are on an external USB drive?

wonkypaw

Post by wonkypaw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 am

Being on an external drive should not matter ... it does not seem to matter with any other music player on the market. Paid or free. How to make the playlist load instantaneously? As one option in preferences is to remember playlist between launches. Any fix or ideas to this?

wonkypaw

Post by wonkypaw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 am

At nearly 26 Euro to purchase a program that, though superior in sound quality, still has a few glitches and a forum with no response to questions seems a bit steep to me. I fully undertand the need to support oneself during development, but it seems a bit overpriced for an "incomplete" product. A shame, as there is great potential here. Unfortunately, when you waste all your demo time just trying to load in tracks instead of actually getting to experience the improved sound quality this program has over many others, it removes the enjoyment and just adds frustration.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to this post.

The reason the playlist takes a long time to load is that on startup Decibel opens reads the tags from each file in the playlist. This is done because right now Decibel does not have an internal database that it uses to store the track info. I am working on a new version with an integrated library that should fix the slow launch issue.

wonkypaw

Post by wonkypaw » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 am

Thank you for a response. I look forward to the integration of the database and library features. As an aside, integration of a metadata editor directly from within Decibel would also be greatly appreciated.