Static during 96/24 FLAC

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
castello10

Static during 96/24 FLAC

Post by castello10 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm getting a regular ticking sound, now and then, when playing 96/24 FLAC files. It's "tick, tick,..." at perhaps quarter-second intervals, not loud, but still annoying. It fades out after perhaps half a minute, but comes back later. I'm using a 2007 Mac Mini, with OS X 10.6.8 and internal disc, feeding USB signals to a Musical Fidelity V-Link USB-to-S/PDIF Converter. Then I have Toslink to the DAC input on a Cambridge Audio 740C CD player. Decibel is set for "exclusive access" and "adjust sample rate for best quality". The same files play OK in this system, with Amarra. But I like the sound and simplicity of Decibel. I've messed around a lot but haven't found any clues. Any ideas anyone?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Static during 96/24 FLAC

Post by sbooth » Tue May 01, 2012 8:28 pm

This is a known issue with exclusive access on 10.6. The root cause is a bug in Apple's code, but there are some workarounds:
  • Disable exclusive access
  • Use a USB hub between your computer and DAC
  • Upgrade to 10.7

castello10

Re: Static during 96/24 FLAC

Post by castello10 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks for the quick response. Indeed, disabling exclusive access fixed it in my first brief tests. I'll work on the other remedies as well. And for the record, the static showed up with Amarra too, but not reproducibly: it occurred on exactly the same parts of the music with Decibel, but came and went with Amarra. And the static never shows up when using the Mac Mini's optical audio out, directly to the DAC, with no V-Link. But the sound quality is inferior that way.