Decibel and Airfoil

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
pl_svn

Decibel and Airfoil

Post by pl_svn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 pm

... searched the forum and seen Airfoil is usually suggested as a way to stream audio but... can't find a feedback confirming/denying it actually works fine with Decibel

final verdict, please?

thank you :-)

Fuga

Re: Decibel and Airfoil

Post by Fuga » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:49 am

Works as well as it can. Doesn't work as well as Airplay does with iTunes, or the hacked API Swinsian uses.

My experience is wireless: files are on a USB2 Western Digital hard drive connected to Airport Extreme, connected to an Airport Express via Cat5, AirportExpress to stereo via RCA cables - music player (Decibel, Cog, Audirvana, etc. via Airfoil or Swinsian/iTunes via Airplay) on laptop wirelessly talking to Airport Extreme. Best file to test I've found is Close to the Edge by Yes. It begins with silence leading to a steady crescendo (yeah, I know that's redundant) of birds tweeting at about 1:00 into playing, at which point there's this HUGE burst of the band in full. No matter the player, if it's through Airfoil there's up to 2 seconds of silence at that moment then various hiccups. If playing ALAC in iTunes or FLAC in Swinsian it's flawless.

pl_svn

Re: Decibel and Airfoil

Post by pl_svn » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 pm

... same if the HD is physically connected to your computer? I mean... isn't there a lot of data traveling back and on forth in your setup? :-/

but... ok: now that I know it works, I'll proceed to buy Decibel and do some testing

thank you, Fuga :-)