Decibel blocking other audio apps

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
lafish

Decibel blocking other audio apps

Post by lafish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 pm

I installed Decibel a couple days ago and love it, but since then, all my other music apps--iTunes, youtube, spotify, etc--can only plan through my display speakers. Decibel alone accesses the DAC on output, for which I'm using the optical connection on my Mac Mini. Even selecting the digital output in system preferences does not give other applications access, it just kills the audio. What can I do?
Thanks,
Larry

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel blocking other audio apps

Post by sbooth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm

This is probably due to to exclusive access mode. Is the option for obtain exclusive access checked in the preferences?

peanutbutter74

Post by peanutbutter74 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello,
My problem is similar to the one that Larry posted here earlier: I purchased Decibel a couple days ago and love it as well (I read an article in Stereophile about Decibel and tried it out and was convinced shortly after).
However, I just bought a Nuforce Icon HDP and am using it for its DAC and headphone capabilities (all the reviews are true, btw: this thing is exemplary!!!)

I own an iMac and it's running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'm using the USB out of the iMac into the USB input on the HDP and from there running RCA analog outputs into a Denon mini-system for my speakers/amp. This setup, using iTunes, is running great!

Yet, after getting it all set up and selecting the correct settings in the Audio Devices, when I try and play tracks through Decibel, it ONLY comes through the iMac speakers. I have some HD tracks that I would like to play and, hence, the reason I bought Decibel (plus, before I installed the NuForce Icon HDP, I could hear a slight improvement in sound quality over iTunes--playing the same tracks at 44.1 and 16 bit!). I do know to go under Output Devices Options and either select or deselect 'obtain exclusive access'. This, however, is not working, either.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

lafish

Post by lafish » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm

It was, but even after I unchecked it the problem remains.
Larry