Decibel can't play WavPack files

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Wiley

Decibel can't play WavPack files

Post by Wiley » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:20 am

When I try to play WavPack files of standard music CD rips, Decibel plays them with what sounds like about 5 total dropouts per second - in other words, with a constant staccato articulation. Cog is able to play these WavPack files without any problems. If I convert the WavPack files to flac or ape, the flac & ape files play fine with Decibel. I am using an iMac with OS X 10.6.8 and I am using the iMac's built-in audio. I have tried this with several different WavPack files and they all exhibit the same problem.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel can't play WavPack files

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:05 pm

This is odd- would you be able to send me one of the problematic files for testing? I haven't had any issues with WavPack thus far.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I would be happy to send you a file for testing, but when I tried uploading a file on this forum, it said "The extension WV is not allowed." Also, the file size is limited to 7 MB, so I had to create a very short file (which I did, using xACT 2.13), but then I got tripped up by the "WV extension is not allowed". I doubt that the WavPack files created by xACT 2.13 by me are any different than the files that you could create yourself with xACT.
I'm wondering if the chopped-up sound I'm hearing is what one would hear when the Decibel free-trial period expires? I purchased a license before the trial period expired, so I never got to hear what would happen when the trial period expires. Since I have so few WavPack files, I never tried playing one during the free-trial period.
If you still want me to send you a test WavPack file, let me know how I should do it. Do you want me to upload it to a file server (e.g. MegaUpload)? If so, I think I should not post the link here but should send it to you privately.

mattn

Post by mattn » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:59 am

Wiley wrote:The extension WV is not allowed
What if you choose File > Compress and upload the .zip file? That way, the extension will be .zip. Perhaps that will be allowed (though I've not tried it, so I'm just guessing).

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:37 pm

I assumed that the forum didn't want people posting attachments containing WavPack files, so I didn't want to try to circumvent this restriction.
Besides, there is nothing special about the WavPack files that I create with xACT - anyone with a Mac can do it.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 pm

The forum software only allows certain kinds of files to be uploaded based on the file extension. A zip archive of the file will certainly be accepted.

The developer asked you to send a an example problematic WavPack file for testing. If you do not send it, you may never know what might be the problem.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:47 am

Here is a link to a WavPack file that I created with xACT.
http://www.mediafire.com/?79i5s5hdx5z7xk7

This file, like all other WavPack files that I have tried to play with Decibel, plays with the sound chopped up.
I am able to play all WavPack files using Cog without any problem.
Decibel plays all my flac and ape files without any problem.

Using Cog is not a problem for me. I'm just trying to be helpful to the community of Decibel users and to the developer of Decibel.
If I am the only user of Decibel that is experiencing this problem, then so be it. It won't upset me if the issue is not pursued.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 am

I just tried playing this file with the latest version of Decibel and it played correctly.

I'm wondering if this could be a buffer size issue. If you double the buffer sizes as outlined in http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4743 does that have any effect?

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am

I had doubled the buffer sizes some time ago, and that's how I've been using Decibel.
I changed the buffer sizes back to their default values, and that solved the problem with WavePak. The files now play properly.

The reason that I doubled the buffer sizes was because of a problem I experienced with occasional dropouts when playing back a particular ape file while applying an AU (or perhaps two in tandem, I don't remember) to the output of Decibel (using Audio Hijack Pro). Doubling the buffer sizes solved that particular problem.

AHA

Post by AHA » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I installed Decibel on an iMac (21.5" Medio 2011), just out of the box.
To listen to my Wav files (whole cd's) I had to triple the buffer sizes before the music playback was without glitches.

Decibel handles the cue files very well, love it!

Thanks!
AHA

mattn

Post by mattn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Does Decibel even know what a WavPack file is? I handed it one and it couldn't identify it. No big deal, I simply transcoded to FLAC using XLD.

I believe this is some kind of wv file with embedded cue. That's all I know about it. Plays fine after transcoding to flac + cue with XLD.