Decibel

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
fig

Decibel

Post by fig » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I am a novice Mac user trying to begin the process of moving from CD's to a new iMac running OS X Llon wired through Ethernet, through my router to my PS Audio DAC, located in my music room. The DAC has an ethernet input. The computer is set up and located in my office. I have downloaded, what I guess, is a 2 day trial version of Decibel and when I load CD's into the computer, I get a message wanting me to download to iTunes. I see no option to rip using Decibel. What am I not getting? I feel like a computer dumb butt.

Also, for control in the music room, will I need an Apple device of some sort for remote operation from my listening seat?

Thanks much for any advice.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Decibel doesn't have CD ripping functionality- I recommend using Rip or Max for that task.

Depending on which DAC you have, Decibel may be extraneous for your setup.

fig

Post by fig » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

I think I deleted my original response, so here it goes again.

Will do on the ripping. Does the Lacie ripper work any better than what the iMac does? Rip, or Max?

The DAC is a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Which has digital inputs via XLR, i2S via HDMI, Optical, USB and their "bridge" which connects the network directly to the DAC via ethernet. The bridge is a big investment for them and they say it sounds as good as using their transport, the PerfectWave transport. The touchscreen on the DAC would allow you to control your library, as long as it is connected by the network. The bridge is a physical plug in board which is designed to sound good and injects the network signal right into the DAC. The touchscreen will show Metadata, also.

If their preferred method of doing computer stored audio is through the ethernet port on the bridge, which I believe it is, maybe I don't need anything other than a good ripping program and iTunes? Still, if it sounds better to send it using your program, I have no trouble with that.

Sorry, if this is inane. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to store my CD's, with the best audio quality, with my computer in another room and with easy, reliable control. That's why I started with the iMac....

fig

Post by fig » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:09 pm

By the way, I'm ripping to AIFF files...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, I'm sure Decibel + a USB cable is cheaper than their bridge! Although since your DAC is in another room logistically it might be difficult to use USB. If you decide to go with their bridge, then I would just rip using whatever program works for you to the format that their product best supports.