Poll: Feature priorities

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

What should be the focus of the next major release?

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
34%
An integrated music library manager with playlists, statistics, etc.
66%

Total votes: 115

tcdk

Re: Poll: Feature priorities

Post by tcdk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:33 pm

CG wrote:"Gee, I can just "press" the Rewind button (next to Play/Pause) and do exactly that once a track starts playing. A far better question is why your system needs to reload filters during some sample rate change. Can you explain this?
Thanks for the "rewind" tip. I had not thought about using one of the Mac key controls.

My convolution computer runs BruteFIR and has to re-sync when the sample rate changes and load the correction filters appropriate for the new sample rate before processing continues. This takes time. I do have delays in the control scripts (perhaps longer than really necessary) to assure the system settles. If a track lead-in is short, the music starts before the re-initialization has completed.

CG

Post by CG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:35 am

"This takes time."

I think Stephen has a setting in a file that will control this if you ask him.

darthlaker

Post by darthlaker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:14 am

I would like Decibel to "remember" all the tracks and not re-load them every time.

I have +47,000 tracks and it takes a long time to wait every time!

wattig

Post by wattig » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Stephen, at the moment you can set shuffle by track, album, or artist, what are the possibilities of adding genre ?

wattig

Post by wattig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:51 pm

wattig wrote:Hi Stephen, at the moment you can set shuffle by track, album, or artist, what are the possibilities of adding genre ?
just to clarify what I mean is would it be possible to filter the albums being played via shuffle so that it will only play albums from a particular genre and apply this to shuffle.

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I would just like what Decibel is supposed to do now (play music files) to work. I'm still having trouble with APE files made from whole CDs. If it's an APE/CUE pair, I still get occasional "skipping" (sudden pause) at track boundaries; and today I played a complete APE file and had the same problem several times with *no* CUE file - the sound just arbitrarily came to a halt and then started up again, as if a buffer were having trouble. (I replayed those passages, and the problem is not in the APE file; it's the way Decibel plays the file.)

bfn

Post by bfn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

sbooth wrote:I'm finishing up version 1.2.4, which I hope will be the last in the 1.2 series. There are two main features I'm considering as the focus for version 1.3- an iOS remote control or library management.
Managing my FLAC files, editing metadata, quick startup with all my songs permanently loaded, separate window for song selection . . . all these features are very important to me. So I vote for library management.

As a matter of fact, I'm still using Play. In my particular setup, Decibel is to cumbersome to use without these features. Just add all the features of Play, it will still be a simple interface and I will be very happy.

rotelaterne

Post by rotelaterne » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 pm

I’ve just voted for the integrated playlist manager (since I don’t use any iApp at all — I’m an eccentric).
And I’m still in favour of the “fade out” feature. Does hard stopping suffice to you audiophile communtiy?

Thanks, Stephen,
Alex.

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:21 am

bfn wrote: Managing my FLAC files, editing metadata, quick startup with all my songs permanently loaded, separate window for song selection . . . all these features are very important to me. So I vote for library management. As a matter of fact, I'm still using Play. In my particular setup, Decibel is to cumbersome to use without these features. Just add all the features of Play, it will still be a simple interface and I will be very happy.
I voted for library management too. One idea I toyed with would be to have a Play Queue pane that would be completely collapsible. I mean, like the message content pane at the bottom of the mailbox windows in Apple Mail - except that this pane would be on top. With the pane visible, operate like Play does. With the pane collapsed, operate like Decibel does now. As far as I am concerned, I know that I would be using either mode depending on the circumstances.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 am

Maxlover, that's a great idea. My thought was similar to yours, but would use a separate window. Same general concept though.

Here's the problem I see: Just where do you stop?

For example, I usually listen to an entire album at a time. With my tracks already arranged by artist and album, this is easy (iTunes does that for me). Just <command>-O and I can go right there. Click on an album and I'm ready to play. But, with a Play like interface, I'd have to be sure that the tracks were arranged by album and then select all the tracks of an album. And so on. Of course, each album could be made into a play list, but that can be a pain, too. So, there'd have to be some mechanism for this kind of track selection.

After that, you can be sure that people will come along and want something like CoverFlow. Or more.

You see where I'm going with this, I'm sure.

The problem is not the time and effort to program this (I'm sure Stephen just lives and breaths to design and code an inexpensive music playback app...) but how the application might grow.

Would it become another iTunes without the video or the Apple Store? I don't know the answer to that.

How would that affect the playback audio quality? Again, I don't know.

Decibel was conceived as a high fidelity playback application. That implied simple. Where do you draw the line? Why wouldn't somebody stick with iTunes or Songbird for all the features? Or even Play for that matter? I don't know the answer here, either. Using the optional plug-in approach for the fancier user interfaces might be one solution, but there may be an inherent conflict with the desire for more graphics.

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm

CG wrote:Maxlover, that's a great idea. My thought was similar to yours, but would use a separate window. Same general concept though.
Here's the problem I see: Just where do you stop?
I certainly don't want a swiss knife application, à la iTunes, that can rip, convert, organize the files on disk, get, correct and save metadata, and so on. I want an application that simply plays the music that I have carefully ripped, tagged and organized on disk.
CG wrote:Decibel was conceived as a high fidelity playback application. That implied simple.
Revealing my age, I remember a time when the only game was vinyl. There were high quality turntables that were indeed mechanically simple, but quite inconvenient to use. In this digital age, I do expect some convenience, and I do believe that convenience can be provided without sacrificying quality.

Navigating the file system to select music is, IMHO, not very convenient. If I want to listen to four versions of a given passage - I'm speaking about classical music, in order to compare the interpretations, navigating the file sytem four times even becomes quite irritating. Typing the title in a search box to instantly find them is the kind of service I feel entitled to expect from a computer.
CG wrote:How would that affect the playback audio quality? Again, I don't know.
As long as the bits are kept honest, and the buffers refilled in time, everything should be smooth, even if this is easier to say than to program correctly. If one wants to be purer than pure, and given the impact on audio quality, one could also argue that Decibel should refuse to decode any compressed format (BTW, nice article here http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd/index.html).
CG wrote:Why wouldn't somebody stick with iTunes or Songbird for all the features? Or even Play for that matter?
All my music is encoded in FLAC+(external)CUE. So iTunes is out, which is nice, since I avoid being exposed to the temptations of a store. Songbird does not handle CUE (at least it did not the last time I looked at it). Play is rather good, and is an almost perfect match with my expectations, modulo the capability to disable the Play Queue when not needed. Unfortunately, it did not get much attention from its developper recently. I guess he must be working on something else. :D

CG

Post by CG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Well, I disagree with some of your assumptions, but that's just me. This isn't the place to discuss whether "bit-perfection" is all there is to high quality audio reproduction in an imperfect world of imperfect equipment.

Off hand, I'm not aware of anything that Decibel does, aside from the focus on audio quality and automatic sample rate changes, that Play doesn't do. However, I've never really explored all the subtleties of Play with all the different file formats.

spocksbrother

Post by spocksbrother » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 am

Would be great for the keyboard forward, back and pause/play (F7-F9) to control Decibel and not launch iTunes. I've tried fussing with keyboard preferences to see if I can change this myself but that does not seem to be an option. In other words a preference within Decibel that says "Override iTunes keyboard control".

omainik

Post by omainik » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm

A feature for browsing the folder structure would be nice. Paired with an iOS remote application ;-)

So it will be possible to use the same organization for the music collection for decibel and for streming audio like squeezeserver.
Browsing folders and a search function are enough for me.

controla

Post by controla » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:53 am

Just registered to second the opinion of all who are requesting CMD+W -expected- behavior, app should not quit but close.
IMHO, this app is geared to users who expect a certain level of "pro"ness, and power users do use shortcuts, cmd+w being the most used one.

Hope you can take this as a request and please us :)

thanks, love the app.