Integer mode in Decibel?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Veovis

Integer mode in Decibel?

Post by Veovis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:15 pm

The latest version of Pure Music has the option to send the data stream to the DAC in integer mode and it sounds very good. Audirvana has this option as well, although imo not as well implemented. Any chance of seeing this feature in Decibel in the near future? I'm actually thinking of switching to PM because of this feature, despite it's user unfriendlyness and buggy feel (and steep price...). But if Decibel could have this feature and implement it as well as PM I would prefer that.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Integer mode in Decibel?

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm quoting myself here:
If exclusive access is enabled and the DAC supports integer input, Decibel will send audio to the DAC as integers. In exclusive mode, as the name implies, Decibel has complete control over the audio device and what audio is sent to it.
So long as you enable exclusive access and have a DAC that supports it, Decibel will send integers to the output device.

Veovis

Post by Veovis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Ah, this explains why HOG mode in Decibel have worked poorly with my MF V-Link! The same problems that I had with both Pure Music and Audirvana in Integer Mode (not HOG only mode) before upgrading to a new powered USB hub.

Thx for the answer.

Amused

Post by Amused » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Veovis wrote:Ah, this explains why HOG mode in Decibel have worked poorly with my MF V-Link! The same problems that I had with both Pure Music and Audirvana in Integer Mode (not HOG only mode) before upgrading to a new powered USB hub.

Thx for the answer.
Just curious...what do you mean by Decibel's working poorly with your V-Link while in exclusive access (hog) mode ? I've never had an issue with it working with my V-Link.

Veovis

Post by Veovis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 am

Spikes and other such noises. Almost like playing a badly scratched vinyl disc. Apparently caused by a bug in Apple's Core Audio that affects the USB output in certain hardware configurations (an iMac in my case). Solved by feeding the DAC (or in our case the V-Link) through a powered USB hub instead of directly from the Mac's built in USB outputs.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:19 pm

More likely to be an issue with grounding of the 5v line in the MF dac.

CG

Post by CG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 am

This is a known problem with certain vintage and model Macs. All the playback applications have this same problem.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 am

sbooth wrote:I'm quoting myself here:
If exclusive access is enabled and the DAC supports integer input, Decibel will send audio to the DAC as integers. In exclusive mode, as the name implies, Decibel has complete control over the audio device and what audio is sent to it.
So long as you enable exclusive access and have a DAC that supports it, Decibel will send integers to the output device.
My MBP is wired to an AirportExtreme, from which a run is made to an AirportExpress connected to my amp/receiver. IOW, no wireless connectivity eventhough my playing through the stereo is via "Airplay". An AirportExpress does function as DAC. But since it is not connected to USB port I wonder Decibel see and so send stuff via integer?