Decibel ignoring ReplayGain info on MP3s

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Packgrog

Decibel ignoring ReplayGain info on MP3s

Post by Packgrog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a collection of files consisting primarily of FLAC and MP3. I've been trying out version 1.2.3, and it seems that while it reads ReplayGain info just fine from FLAC, it doesn't seem to recognize it in MP3 files. I have run the ReplayGain script for all of these files through Foobar2000, and even tried updating the existing tags with a new scan, but Decibel simply does not recognize it for those files. It's a rather jarring experience.

THat said, I'm quite happy so far with the handling of FLAC files, including hi-res files. I'm not sure if it truly is passing through 24/192 to my DAC or if it's being resampled. Any way of finding out what's really being output without using a different DAC?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel ignoring ReplayGain info on MP3s

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Do you happen to know how the RG info is stored in your MP3s? If you don't mind sending me an MP3 for testing I will be happy to take a look.

If you want to know more information on the specific output format being sent to the DAC, it is necessary to enable logging. I've posted some information on what to look for in http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 385#p12092

Packgrog

Re: Decibel ignoring ReplayGain info on MP3s

Post by Packgrog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Hmmm... I tried a few different things, but it does seem that there might just be an old method for generating the tags that is not supported by Decibel. Foobar2000 recognizes them, but I also noticed in the most recent release notes of that app that there were some fixes to ReplayGain. I re-scanned one set of files, and caused Decibel to crash after I tried to play it, since it was modified by Foobar2000 (from a Windows VM, all audio files are in a shared directory) while still in the Decibel playlist.

I'll send one of the files I found that is problematic. I suspect that I'll be able to get Decibel to recognize it if I do a new scan, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of re-scanning all 250GB of audio files! :P