Sample rates not adjusting

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
blessingx

Sample rates not adjusting

Post by blessingx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:43 am

I have a Lavry DA10 I use over my MacBooks toslink. Both are limited to 24/96 and Apple unfortunately still doesn't include an 88.2 optical driver. I just purchased Decibel tonight (congrats on the Stereophile article). When playing back 44.1, 48 or 96 files Decibel correctly adjusts the sample rates, however if 88.2, 176.4 or 192 files the sample rates seem to continue at 44.1/48/96 (whichever previous track played in this range). I was hoping to move from a couple other OS X audiophile players (most recently Audirvana), however in these situations they downsampled accordingly. Is the non-adjustment of these files in Decibel expected and if so is there any possibility of change? I would prefer to playback a 192 file as 96 for example, than arbitrarily the last track rate. Great sounding player otherwise, just hope this isn't a road block.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Sample rates not adjusting

Post by sbooth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:17 pm

When automatically adjusting the sample rate, Decibel tries the following:
  • If the DAC supports the file's sample rate, that sample rate is used
  • If the DAC doesn't support the file's sample rate, and the file's sample rate is less than 96.0, Decibel tries to use double the sample rate
  • If the DAC doesn't support the file's sample rate, and the file's sample rate is greater than 96.0, Decibel tries to use half the sample rate
Do you have 192.0 files that are not being played back at 96.0?

blessingx

Post by blessingx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Actually this morning I noticed the single album I was testing 24/192 files from was mislabeled and instead was 24/174.4. Sorry about the confusion. Indeed 192 does on the fly output 96. Great.

I did want to ask about 88.2/176.4 files (some HDtracks and ripped DVD-As, HRx, etc). They continue to output at last files supported sample rate. In those cases, because of the lack of Apple-toslink 88.2 support, doubling 88.2 or halving 176.4 still doesn't hit a working sample rate. Audirvana (with its default settings) would handle both as 96 (halves the 176.4 and bumps 88.2 to 96), though there's certainly an argument for 44.1 in each case also. Are my tests correct that in those cases adjustments aren't made (and last acceptable files settings used)? Could that change over time? Examples being 192/176.4 not supported divide in half to 96/88.2. If not supported divide in half again to 48/44.1. That could help with a lot of wonderful vintage DACs. Or possibly even a maximum rate setting, so, although mathematically problematic, high sample rates files will still remain "high res." In scenarios like mine, it may be nice to drop 176.4 to 96 (or highest rate), not all the way back to redbook equivalent 44.1.

Again, great sounding player. Thanks for all your hard work.

And I should make another correction in case anyone considering picking one up in the future - although limited by the toslink connection, the Lavry D10 (or DA11) is capable above 24/96 with other inputs. I forgot as I hadn't used in that manner ever and the display maxes out at 24/96 (D. Lavry isn't a fan of bitrates above). Sorry about that error.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 am

blessingx wrote:I did want to ask about 88.2/176.4 files (some HDtracks and ripped DVD-As, HRx, etc). They continue to output at last files supported sample rate. In those cases, because of the lack of Apple-toslink 88.2 support, doubling 88.2 or halving 176.4 still doesn't hit a working sample rate. Audirvana (with its default settings) would handle both as 96 (halves the 176.4 and bumps 88.2 to 96), though there's certainly an argument for 44.1 in each case also. Are my tests correct that in those cases adjustments aren't made (and last acceptable files settings used)? Could that change over time?
You're correct- if the fallback sample rate isn't available Decibel just leaves the DAC alone and plays the file at the current sample rate. It might make sense to check for even multiples, as in your example of 176.4. I think my approach would be to try 88.2 first, and if that isn't supported to try 44.1. I think the desirability of this might boil down to personal preference. I'm sure there are many users who would not want to listen to their 176.4 tracks downsampled to 44.1!