Minimum Hardware Requirements

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Crisnee

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Post by Crisnee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a used Mac Mini (I've mostly used pcs for audio and would like to experiment with a Mac) and am wondering about the minimum hardware requirements needed to run Decibel. I realize I need OSX 10.6 or better but have not been able to find any hardware info.

I would like to go as inexpensively as possible but don't want to end up with a marginal system. So, what I'm really saying is: What's the minimum hardware requirements to run Decibel comfortably. I have plenty of external drives, monitors etc. so I'm just talking internals, memory, processor, type of USB ports, etc.

Thanks, Chris

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Minimum Hardware Requirements

Post by sbooth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 pm

I think that if the machine can run 10.6 comfortably, you're probably going to be fine. Any Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo or better and 2 GB or more of memory should be more than adequate- Apple is selling refurbished ones right now for $749.

Crisnee

Post by Crisnee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 am

That was just what I wanted to hear. I'd found a refurbished mini with those exact specs for $519 and now own it. Thanks, and my wallet thanks you too (sort of :mrgreen:).
-Chris

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:29 am

Just one other thought...

I think adding memory is a good thing. The price is pretty reasonable now, too. Installing memory in the latest model Mini is very, very easy.

Beyond that, AC line filtering for the computer is also very much worthwhile, at least in my experience. A high price audiophile power system isn't really the right thing - there's some other filters really targeted toward other applications that do as good or better job for this purpose. While not free, they are not priced high enough to make you gasp. I think you could fill a new Mini with memory and add one of these filters for what you saved by buying a refurbed Mini instead of a new one.

Crisnee

Post by Crisnee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 am

CG, What kind of filter are you thinking of? Right now I use a run of the mill Tripplite backup power supply for my pcs which includes some standard filters. Is that what you mean, or do you mean something else?

I'd like to correct something you said, that being "Just one other thought..." Er, I think you qualify for the 2 thought prize. :lol: I hope you're at least grinning too.

Thanks, Chris

CG

Post by CG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:15 pm