Audio Units in Decibel

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
PlayFan

Audio Units in Decibel

Post by PlayFan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Are we going to be able to use "AU's" in "Decibel" like we where in "Play"

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Audio Units in Decibel

Post by sbooth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Yes, this is a feature I plan on adding.

CG

Post by CG » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:30 am

I want to interject my own opinion here.

Decibel, to me, is designed to be as pure and high performance in its audio playback quality as the computer technology will allow. Stephen has gone to great (and probably painful) lengths to make this come true. The use of audio unit processing (at least the vast majority of audio units) effectively negates and blunts the high quality audio processing - or lack thereof! - found in Decibel.

I'd sure hate to see Decibel be compromised in sound quality for this convenience. Perhaps it might be possible to offer some sort of "bypass" switch that would prevent any audio degradation while still allowing optional use of audio units, but I don't enough knowledge to say one way or another.

But my vote, if I had a vote, would be to never compromise sound quality in Decibel for some feature that's already found in other applications. Like Play, or even iTunes.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 am

CG, you're right on all counts. The AU support will be bypassable, much as the digital volume is now, for both performance and sound quality reasons.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Also for me, it is very essential that I can activate AU units in some cases. But useful only when supported with the original interfaces.