iTunes Browser in Decibel 1.2

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
DannyG

Re: iTunes Browser in Decibel 1.2

Post by DannyG » Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 am

The plugin is now working for me, thanks!

Could you please add album artist in the itunes browser? I like to keep my albums sorted by album artist to keep the compilations together as an album.

Decibull

Post by Decibull » Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Unfortunately (again), I have been unable to reproduce your success with having Decibel access my iTunes library. I tried to follow your instructions, but may have missed something.

Also, I upgraded to the new version that said it would handle non-standard installations of iTunes...

As I am currently set up, my main HD does not have any reference in my ~ file to iTunes. I have just directed iTunes to find the iTunes folder on my external hard drive.

I tried creating an alias of my itunes library file in my ~ folder like you suggested, but Decibel would not let me select it as the location of the iTunes folder: it was grayed out.

Can you be more explicit, step-by-step, on what you did to make this work? Also, are you an a Mac (I am) or a PC?

Thanks!

Decibull

Post by Decibull » Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 pm

edited out ornery comments
Last edited by Decibull on Mon May 23, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 am

The way Decibel finds your iTunes tracks is by reading a file called either "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library.xml". If you open the Preferences window and select the Plug-ins pane you should see the iTunes browser listed. Ensure it is enabled and then click the Configure plug-in button. If you see a green check next to the folder it means Decibel found the iTunes XML file.

If you've done all that and tracks still aren't showing up it is possible that your tracks are in a format not supported by Decibel. What format are most of your tracks?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon May 23, 2011 7:09 am

Decibull wrote:I tried creating an alias of my itunes library file in my ~ folder like you suggested,
You may not need to use it if the iTunes browser does what it is supposed to do, but an alias is not the same thing as a symbolic link.

Decibull

Post by Decibull » Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm

sbooth wrote:The way Decibel finds your iTunes tracks is by reading a file called either "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library.xml". If you open the Preferences window and select the Plug-ins pane you should see the iTunes browser listed. Ensure it is enabled and then click the Configure plug-in button. If you see a green check next to the folder it means Decibel found the iTunes XML file.

If you've done all that and tracks still aren't showing up it is possible that your tracks are in a format not supported by Decibel. What format are most of your tracks?
I can get to the point where the green check shows up, but then still can't add.

The vast majority of my tracks are in apple lossless (ripped from my cds). The rest are mostly mp4s (itunes store - not protected).

Thanks.

croy

Post by croy » Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Like others. Configured itunes plug in so it looks at my library on the external drive, but it will not "add selected" or "add all".

FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM: I have moved my library many times, among other things. Anyway, I had multiple XML files in my itunes media folder. If you're in the same boat- Just go ahead and delete all of them. close itunes and restart. it will create a brand new up-to-date xml file and you'll be all set. . . . Well, I guess all I can say is after that, I was all set. Hope you will be too.

Decibull

Post by Decibull » Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 pm

croy wrote:Like others. Configured itunes plug in so it looks at my library on the external drive, but it will not "add selected" or "add all".

FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM: I have moved my library many times, among other things. Anyway, I had multiple XML files in my itunes media folder. If you're in the same boat- Just go ahead and delete all of them. close itunes and restart. it will create a brand new up-to-date xml file and you'll be all set. . . . Well, I guess all I can say is after that, I was all set. Hope you will be too.
Excellent!!! I deleted my itunes library and itunes music library xml files. Restarted iTunes, and reconfigured the plugin... And it works now.

Thank you!

[Update: Well, it works with most, BUT not all files - will not add some mp4 files that will play if I drag them directly into Decibel from the iTunes window. So not perfect yet... :(]