iTunes Browser in Decibel 1.2

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Alberto

iTunes Browser in Decibel 1.2

Post by Alberto » Tue May 17, 2011 10:07 pm

The new iTunes Browser PlugIn in DB 1.2 does not work for me, stays empty.
(OSX 10.6.7 with iTunes 8.2.1)

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: iTunes Browser in Decibel 1.2

Post by sbooth » Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 am

What is the location of your iTunes Music Library.xml file? For example, mine is in the Music/iTunes/ folder.

genjamon

Post by genjamon » Wed May 18, 2011 2:48 am

The Itunes plugin is automatically loading my entire Itunes library when I tell it to load just the selected files. It loads the selected files first, then it loads the entire library, all 17,000 some files of mine. This has made it pretty much unusable. On top of that, the new plugin isn't configurable the same way the display is in Itunes, making it much more difficult to manage my library. I VERY MUCH prefer the old system to the new one at this point. Is there any way to revert to 1.1? I won't be able to use Decibel in this configuration.

Ben

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 am

I have three different iTunes folders in Music. One for example: Home/Music/iTunes Archiv/iTunes Library.xml

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm

genjamon wrote:Is there any way to revert to 1.1?
If you'd like to use an older version of Decibel they are all available in http://files.sbooth.org/archive/

I haven't heard of the behavior you're describing- if you click the "Add Selected" button with only one track selected in the list all the tracks are added?

tama853@gmail.com

Post by tama853@gmail.com » Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 pm

The same thing is happening with mine. The search field stays empty even with itunes open. My iTunes library XML file is where you listed yours is at. Does the media folder placement have anything to do with it, like in iTunes you choose where you want that folder to be? Or is it just that XML file that matters?

croy

Post by croy » Thu May 19, 2011 1:12 am

I have the same problem as Alberto. My itunes library is on an external hard drive. Not in the "normal" place. How do I point decibel to the correct folder?

genjamon

Post by genjamon » Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 pm

I found an older version file in my downloads folder and have been using that for now. Yeah, I click the "add selected" button and that one song will be added, then a few moments later the entire library loads into the list.

In the other version, when I just used Itunes to scroll through my library separately, I actually use the view option where there's a list of artists on the left, and when I click on one of the artists, the list on the right updates with all songs from that artist. With the size of my library, being able to browse by artist rather than by file is vital to being able to browse the library. The current plugin feature doesn't seem to have any visualization customization options, making it much more clunky to use. Even if the glitch above about loading the entire library is solved, I will still want to use a previous version for ease of navigating my library.

You know, I just realized, I declined to update my Itunes once or twice, because I was happy with the format and I know sometimes with their updates they totally change the user interface. Maybe that's the cause? I'll try to remember to check which version I have when I'm home.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

tama853@gmail.com wrote:The same thing is happening with mine. The search field stays empty even with itunes open. My iTunes library XML file is where you listed yours is at. Does the media folder placement have anything to do with it, like in iTunes you choose where you want that folder to be? Or is it just that XML file that matters?
All Decibel uses is the XML file- the actual media folder placement shouldn't matter as long as the XML files gives the correct paths to your library. Version 1.2.1 will allow you to select which iTunes folder you want to use, which should help.

DannyG

Post by DannyG » Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi,

the itunes browser is not working for me either. As I have a Dutch Mac OS version my music folder is called "Muziek", maybe that's the problem?

When will version 1.2.1 be available?

Thanks.

ivarlo

Post by ivarlo » Thu May 19, 2011 9:30 pm

I have just downloaded the 1.2 version of Decibel. I see that the "add selected tracks in itunes"-feature from previous versions have been removed.
Please bring this feature back, the new itunes browser functionality can only see a very little part of my big itunes library. :(
The removal of the old feature leaves Decibel useless for me

genjamon

Post by genjamon » Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 am

I just looked up my Itunes version - 10.2.2 (12)

I see 1.2.1 is now available, but I'm hesitant, as I'm not sure the music library flexibility you added will help my issue in any way.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 20, 2011 3:05 am

You can always try it and downgrade if it isn't to your liking- all previous versions are available at http://files.sbooth.org/archive/

Decibull

Post by Decibull » Fri May 20, 2011 5:36 pm

I am afraid that I too am unable to get the itunes Browser plugin to work.

I keep my itunes folder on an external hard drive. I navigate to my itunes folder and select it. Then in Decibel, I click the itunes icon. It shows my itunes music. But nothing happens whether I select a track and choose add selection, or add all. Nothing goes into my Decibel playlist.

Note: when I navigate to my itunes folder, the library.xml file is grayed out. The only folder I can select without getting an error emblem is the entire itunes folder (as opposed to my itunes media folder, etc.).

chris

Post by chris » Fri May 20, 2011 9:38 pm

I have successfully pointed the Decibel iTunes browser to my iTunes library on an external disk by:

1) creating a symbolic link to the file iTunes Library.xml that is located in the iTunes folder on the external disk;
2) creating a backup copy of the iTunes Library.xml file in ~/Music/iTunes;
3) replacing the original iTunes Library.xml file in ~/Music/iTunes with the newly created symbolic link;
4) if necessary, renaming the symbolic link file to iTunes Library.xml.

This is only viable if the iTunes folder in the user file on the local disk is not being used.