can't remember playlist of files from NTFS partition

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
sbooth
Site Admin

Re: can't remember playlist of files from NTFS partition

Post by sbooth » Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 pm

bfn wrote:With version 1.2, the problem is solved now, all my files show up. However, it is taking a lot of time starting or quitting Decibel. I've added about 9000 FLAC files to the playlist, and starting up Decibel takes now a good three minutes. Quitting is a little bit faster. I wonder if this could be improved. Again, with Play this is no problem.
This can be improved, but Play and Decibel have different designs. Decibel doesn't have a persistent library (yet), so all files added to the playlist are scanned for metadata, sample rate info, etc. Play has the info stored in an internal database and just reads from that, which is why it takes less time. Version 2 of Decibel will support a persistent library.

bfn

Re: can't remember playlist of files from NTFS partition

Post by bfn » Thu May 19, 2011 5:52 am

sbooth wrote:
bfn wrote:With version 1.2, the problem is solved now, all my files show up. However, it is taking a lot of time starting or quitting Decibel. I've added about 9000 FLAC files to the playlist, and starting up Decibel takes now a good three minutes. Quitting is a little bit faster. I wonder if this could be improved. Again, with Play this is no problem.
This can be improved, but Play and Decibel have different designs. Decibel doesn't have a persistent library (yet), so all files added to the playlist are scanned for metadata, sample rate info, etc. Play has the info stored in an internal database and just reads from that, which is why it takes less time. Version 2 of Decibel will support a persistent library.
Wonderful, I was hoping to hear this. If you added Play's split window to that version, I could then assemble temporary playlists from my complete list of songs, having to add these only once to Decibel. Thank you very much for your good work!